Prepaid Throttled below 1MB
nuprotocol
Enthusiast - Level 2

I receive less than 1MB down and 0MB up. This is during the mornings, afternoons and evenings. Pretty much every time you really need to use your phone. I understand that prepaid will be prioritized. but for it to be less than 1MB is ridiculous. I feel like its a bait and switch in order to force prepaid to post paid. At this point, I'm thinking of switching to ATT Prepaid. These issues started in July when switching to the "new VZW prepaid" plans. At minimum the VZW Prepaid plans should be throttled to 10MB during busy times, not less than 1MB. I've tried using Verizon 6S Plus, Verizon Pixel XL and Verizon Note 8. No matter the phone, I receive less than 1MB down. This happens from 6am-9am, 11am-2pm. 4pm-7:30pm. Pretty much during times you need your phone the most. Phone calls and text work fine but LTE data is less than 1MB. I have a VZW Postpaid phone with me during my prepaid usage and the post paid phone does not have any of these issues. This change occurred when VZW added more data for prepaid for the same price (started in July). This happens in multiple locations, my phone will show full signal strength but receive less than 1MB down. Restarting my phone does not help. Removing the sim and reinserting does not help. There are ZERO outages when I'm experiencing these issues. The problem is isolated to prepaid ONLY and only on the new prepaid plans. Zip code: 28273.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Prepaid Throttled below 1MB
stef7
Master - Level 2

The responses you are getting are pretty deafening. Smiley Sad

Try calling Verizon's Prepaid Support Team at 888-294-6804

nuprotocol
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah im thinking Verizon Support has not said anything because I've included all the data points they would need. This means, they can't post the same canned response since everything is in the original post. I've called prepaid support and they can't help. I tried going back to my old 5gb/50 plan but it's not available anymore.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

nuprotocol wrote:

Yeah im thinking Verizon Support has not said anything because I've included all the data points they would need. 

They may not have responded for several reasons.  For example, this is primarily a peer-to-peer forum.  While VzW reps may respond, it's not guaranteed.  If they do respond, it may be a few days after the post is left.  And for whatever reason, they only handle post-paid accounts here in the forum; if they respond, they'll likely direct you to contact Prepaid Customer Service at the number provided in the earlier post.

nuprotocol
Enthusiast - Level 2

Awesome. Thank you for the heads up. Did not know.

stef7
Master - Level 2

[removed].

The plan under discussion is ill described w.r.t. traffic shaping, so what is written leaves one to believe data usage on a pre-paid account may be virtually unusable. That is - unless the traffic shaping they are doing is not per their original intent and it's still being refined, which I think might be a possibility - seeing as what is being done for GoUnlimited does not seem to be implemented per what has been communicated, vague as that is...

Perhaps for the time being, like GoUnlimited, data on Pre-Paid represents plan features which are impractical to users.

Content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service​.

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The VZW reps here have specifically stated they can only access the postpaid accounts.

The terms of the prepaid plans state, "Once high-speeds data allowance is used, 128 kbps speeds for the rest of the month. Functionality of some data applications, like streaming video or audio, may be impacted. Video streams up to 480p. We may prioritize your data behind other customers during times/places of network congestion."

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

nuprotocol, we certainly understand how important it is to get the best speeds available to you on your device and we’re glad to hear that you have a postpaid phone as well so you can stay connected during these troubling times. At this time, we have no reported issues in the 28273 area. Since you’re only experiencing this issue with your prepaid plan and on multiple devices, it seems to be narrowed down to the particular line of service. In this scenario, we’d like to take a closer look at the account to investigate the issue further; however we only have access to postpaid accounts here on our community page. You’re welcome to reach out to prepaid directly at 888-294-6804 for additional support. We’re confident they’ll be able to properly address these concerns.

SamanthaT_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

I might have confused the issue. My comment wasn't that VZW reps couldn't access pre-paid accounts... it was that they certainly could comment on posts from pre-paid customers. Unless you know of some specific restriction otherwise.

0 Likes