Smart phone and prepaid problem
tshank

This is a rather long story, please bear with me.

I have an old Samsung basic flip phone. I use it on the: $0.99 DAILY PLAN - DAILY FEE ON USE, UNLIMITED M2M, $0.10/MIN TEXT.

The old phone is failing.

I bought (ebay) a Motorola prepaid Moto g smart phone.

When I attempted to activate it on-line I was told it would not work on my current prepaid plan and I would have to spend at least $30 per month.

In the last 30 days I have made 7 outgoing calls for a total of 28 minutes. Not a big cell phone user obviously.

Here is what I was told.

“When you change from 3G basic phone to 3G/4G Smartphone the system is going to ask you to make a plan change because they are different technologies and the plans are not compatibles. Actually, the plan that you currently have is a daily plan, which is also a grandfathered plan, meaning that this plan is no longer available and this is the reason why we cannot relate this plan to a Moto G device. If you change to another basic phone, it might also request a plan change, however, we can definitely work on that, nevertheless, on a Moto G phone is not possible to have a daily plan.” My emphasis added.

Did you get that? It MIGHT request a plan change but they can work on that.

I then asked “I can't see me buying another basic phone and trying to activate it only to find out I cannot activate it and must change my plan.”

Then “That is correct. Since a basic phone has the same technology, in this case it has 2G or 3G technology, we can give it a try to see if the system allows us to skip the plan change, sometimes if the new phone is a Samsung Gusto or a phone with the same technology it allows us to skip the plan change.” My emphasis added

So they can give it a try to see if the system will skip the plan change. And sometimes if it is a Samsung Gusto it allows to skip the plan change.  Give it a try!!! And sometimes!! What kind of answer is that?

My reply “But it is not fair that I can't find that out until after I make the purchase.”

Then I said (And I think this is the biggest issue ) “The activation and service guide that came with the phone shows the same schedule of payments as my current basic phone. (Page 11) $15 to $29.99 30 days $30.00 to $74.99 90 days.and so on. Just like my basic phone. This information in the Verizon guide is very misleading.”

I ended the chat session then as the outcome was very clear.

By the way, I wanted the smartphone for the camera, and wi-fi and of course a phone.

I am discouraged!

Any advice?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Smart phone and prepaid problem
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

To activate the smartphone as a prepaid phone, you are required to switch to the monthly prepaid smartphone plans. The smallest plan currently it $50 per month for 5 GB plus carryover and unlimited voice and text.

If you got a basic phone, I don't know if you can keep your old grandfathered plan. The current basic phone is $30 per month for unlimited voice text and basic phone data.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
tshank

So is the plan grandfathered to the phone or to the person who is the account holder???

Tom

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The phone. More specifically the type of phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes