Why can't I activate a 4g device on prepaid?
jake1110
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why don't  the All Set prepaid plans support 4G devices? Considering in the future MOST devices will have LTE capability, how do we use these on prepaid.  There won't be any devices left to use! You don't even allow us to take the SIM cards out and just use 3G.

I completely understand the fact they want prepaid users on 3G which is fine but not activating LTE devices is ridiculous Verizon.  Meanwhile, several GSM carrier's prepaid services are happy to activate my unlocked phone thanks to that same LTE chip. A  $45 - $55 a month loss for Verizon unfortunately.  I really like the service but I can get a far more competitive plan elsewhere with a BYOD policy. I'd highly recommend rethinking that policy.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: All Set Plan - Bring you own device policy
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unfortunately the SIM card is required even for the CDMA/EDVO portion of the phone to work. It is the way the phones are configured and how they connect to the network which is most likely not compatible with the prepaid plans at this time.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I personally don't think we will see prepaid to get LTE phones until the VoLTE is significantly rolled out across the country.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
jake1110
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm ok with only using EVDO 3G on the LTE capable device, that's fine by me.  Heck, I'd take out the SIM card for them so it wouldn't be able to access the LTE network.  But to completely ban them all?  What's the business reason here?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unfortunately the SIM card is required even for the CDMA/EDVO portion of the phone to work. It is the way the phones are configured and how they connect to the network which is most likely not compatible with the prepaid plans at this time.

0 Likes
jake1110
Enthusiast - Level 2

Really?  Honestly, that doesn't make much sense to me.  If you have more information, I'd love to see it!  If this is correct though, then the SIM card is not just to access 4G data, but rather a complete lock-down or control mechanism by Verizon.

Luckily, this prepaid phone(was an HTC 8X) was going to be for a family member and not me!  I've got it up and running on a different carrier working better than expected.

0 Likes