Blocked numbers still getting through to voicemail?
cneild

I have certain numbers blocked on my son's phone but it appears that these numbers are still able to leave voicemails.  Is that true?  If so, how does one block that from happening?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Blocked numbers still getting through to voicemail?
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi Cneild,

If you have the numbers blocked in the system, they are not able to leave a voice mail. The block in place will intercept that call and the caller hears a recording that the person they called has a block. The only way a person whose number is blocked from your son's line would be able to leave a voice mail for him, is if they blocked or restricted the number they were calling from, or used a different phone to call him. Callers are also able to manipulate the number that appears on an incoming call. This is called spoofing and can be done using a computer or a third party application. 

Because the call was not answered and went to voice mail, it will not show up in the call details for your son's line. This is due to the fact that when a call comes in and the user does not answer, no minutes are used. The only calls that appear on the bill are ones that connected. 

You are able to check your son's missed call list to see if you can locate the number that called, or the fact that the number ws restricted by the caller. Please note that if the incoming call was made while your son's phone was powered off, it will not show as a missed call. The call will not appear in the call details on the bill or online. 

Verizon Wireless offers a feature called Usage Controls that is $4.99 per line. It allows you to block restricted calls as well. You can view additional details about Usage Controls and all it can do by visiting:

Usage Controls

I hope this information is helpful and addresses your concerns about your son's line. 

0 Likes
Re: Blocked numbers still getting through to voicemail?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
It has been discussed by some other users on this community that there is a way to get around the blocked number system and leave a voicemail. It uses the Verizon voicemail system itself to leave a voicemail for a different number then the number calling into the system.

It seems to work only with other Verizon phones.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes