Does Familybase work or not?
MadJeff

Just wondering what other peoples experiences are with FamilyBase, especially in regards to time limits on Windows Phones.

I just picked up a Nokia 928 for my teen daughter who was on a regular phone previously. Talking with the rep about better control over smartphone usage and he recommended FamilyBase so I thought I would try it. So far I'm not impressed and it is not doing what I was told it would do.

Specifically, I want to set time limits on when text/data can be used. I set time limits to block between 10pm to 6am on weeknights, and it's had absolutely no effect whatsoever, she can text and surf the web/hit YouTube without issue during the times she is supposed to be blocked. I've even gone so far as create a time block from 12am to 11:59pm and it has no effect. She is on wifi here at the house as well and while I can block wifi access during these times separately on our firewall, I was told this service would block access during those times regardless of 4g or wifi access.

Another issue is the delay in reporting, as it seems to be 2-3 days behind.

I understand there is no windows app to be able to block on demand or see apps. I'm fine with that, I just want to simple be able to be able to block network access during the time frames I specify while allowing calls and text to Mm and Dad. Will this service do that reliably or not? If I can't control the access time on the phone it's going to have to go back. 😃

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Does Familybase work or not?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MadJeff, we definitely want to make sure this issue is resolved for you. Family Base can and should block text and data usage on our network as long as blocks are setup correctly. We cannot block internet traffic on your home router. Is she using an app to text people or standard text messages? With the delay in reporting, is this regarding data usage as well? When you login to your My Verizon account, does any usage show for the same day?

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
MadJeff

So, I'm completely blocking phone access to our wifi router so the phone cannot connect to wifi. I have a block set for 12am until 11:45pm all days. In essence, the phone should have zero access to the 4G or wifi network. I've verified the phone is not connected to the wifi router. This has been set since Monday.

I just went and looked on the usage for that line both in FamilyBase as well as on Verizon. Data Usage on Verizon shows the following:

2/28 - 30Mb Data Usage so far today

2/27 - 70Mb Data Usage

2/26 - 1Mb Data Usage

2/25 - 0Mb Usage

FamilyBase shows 0 activity in the activity logs since Monday.

0 Likes
MadJeff

Forgot to add, she has not texted or placed a call since Monday according to Verizon's (not FamilyBase) activity breakdown. Does the activity log in Familybase only cover calls/texts and not data usage?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello MadJeff,

Thanks for the details. I want to make sure that everything is working for you the way that you have it set up. When did you set the blocks up? Was it just recently? There are certain data services and apps are allowed during time-restricted periods. Those would be My Verizon Mobile, data usage meter, Backup Assistant Plus Sync, Verizon FamilyBase, and Over The Air Updates. Do any of the phones use these application or services? Please keep us posted.

KevinR_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes