Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 6,040 Members online 269K Discussions 43.9K Solutions
Family base not allowing use of wifi
RMBPAINTING
Enthusiast - Level 1

My kids cannot connect to WiFi at school or home due to family base VPN. HELP!! They need to be able to use WiFi they depend on it

Labels (1)
Re: Family base not allowing use of wifi
CSF2
Enthusiast - Level 2

We did not have any issues until we used the "pause internet" option 2 days ago.  My son's phone could not even access when using WiFi (which the pause says they should be able to). Even after turning oft the "pause" neither WiFi or 4G would allow any internet traffic.  This morning, I in-paired the phone and it started working again, but as soon as I re-paired his phone, immediately stopped again. I believe the issue is with the Smart Family VPN connection as well. I can't even locate the device using the location services within Smart Family or when trying to find the device through Google.  Something is not right.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It is important that your kids are able to use the internet when they need it, CSF2. What devices are your children currently using? Are there any other FamilyBase settings active that might interfere with their ability to use the internet? If they are using phones, is their ability to text and call also affected?

PeterP_VZW

0 Likes
CSF2
Enthusiast - Level 2

My son uses a Samsung Galaxy S5. He is still able to text and call, it is just the 4G and WiFi that seems to have stopped working UNTIL I remove his phone from Smart Family. After he completes a download, I re-add his phone and the restriction is back. This afternoon, I left all settings at the default. I do have a Data threshold set BUT I checked the box to only alert, not disable. This issue did not start until I turned on the Pause Internet and WiFi stopped working. 2 days later, I unpaused. I would have expected everything to resume to normal after I unpaused, however that does not seem to have happened. Having to continuously remove and re-add his device does not seem worth it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

CsF2, being able to use his device is a must especially while at school. Have you tried to remove the service and re-add the Smart Family? Click here to remove the service and re-add it back to your wireless account. http://spr.ly/6583DeFGh

AlbertoR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
CSF2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am not able to remove it from my plan. The link you gave takes me to a link to shop for devices. When I try to manage my account, it shows Smart Family on all 3 lines, but there is no option to remove it. The only thing I can do is remove my son's line to allow him to download what he needs and then re-add his line. Very frustrating!

On a side note, the location notifications have never worked. It's not related to this issue, but I just wanted to share that as well.

0 Likes