Why can my son text if he has used all of his data?
Marilyn10301
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have unlimited calling and texting.

On Family Base I limited my son's line to 15 GB.  An agent told me that after he is out of data, he could still text and call, but his texts are undeliverable...why is that?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Family Base Question
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

If he is sending group messages, or picture messages, or iMessages, or any other message app that uses data, then the messages will not send. They are using DATA.  Regular text messages using simple SMS should work. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

What phone does your son have. What app does he use to text?

If your son has an iPhone AND he is subscribed to iMessage, any "text" sent as an iMessage would be undeliverable unless he was on wifi since THAT is not a text. It is an iMessage, which bypasses the SMS/MMS infrastructure and instead uses Apple's servers. This type of "text" would need to be sent via wifi if your son has used all of his data.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

If he is sending group messages, or picture messages, or iMessages, or any other message app that uses data, then the messages will not send. They are using DATA.  Regular text messages using simple SMS should work. 

0 Likes
Marilyn10301
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got it. Thank you

0 Likes
Marilyn10301
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you so much. I understand

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I wonder if there is an association between those that cannot budget data (especially 15 GB) over the course of a month and future inability to budget money?

0 Likes
Marilyn10301
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, definitely something to think about.

But in all fairness to him, we've moved and didn't have wifi for a few weeks.