Will Verizon soon offer plans with unlimited data?
ercundiff
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the old plan that offers unlimited data but want to upgrade to a 4G plan.  I was told I would lose my unlimited data plan so for now I will not upgrade.  Someone did suggested that they thought Verizon would soon offer an unlimited dada plan to compete with other companies that are not offering that. Will it be soon if at all?  Thanks in advance for your advise and suggestions.  Elaine

106 Replies
Wildman
Legend

I really cant believe that this subject it still going....  Verizon isnt the first to get ride of Unlimited data plans and they wont be the last.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

I agree Wildman lets close the Books and move on..

0 Likes
verizonmoderator1

>tThis thread has run its course. It will now be locked.<

Verizon Moderator

><

0 Likes
aching

We were with Altell originally and have managed to keep Altell's plan until this coming January. Verizon is forcing us to change to one of their plans. I currently have the unlimited data plan for my WiFi internet card, when I went to upgrade to the newer card they told me I would lose my unlimited coverage, so I stayed with the old card. I live in rural NC and have no other options for internet service, no DSL, no cable, no fiber optic. When I am forced to move to the newer plans, I will have to revert back to dial-up internet service. I cannot afford to change my plan. Verizon is also the only service that services my area, I have no choice. They are really going to stick it to me, I have been with them for 7 years and currently pay $226 a month for 1 smartphone, 3 regular phones and my internet card,. My car payment is less!!!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If your current wifi card for Wireless Broadband is an Alltel branded device, then all you need to do is purchase from a third party a Verizon Wireless branded 3G only broadband device similar to your current device. That is the only way for you to keep your unlimited broadband data plan. The Verizon Wireless 4G LTE broadband devices have never been eligible for use on the retired unlimited broadband data plan.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Does your current device still work?  Why do you have to upgrade right now?  Just because your 2 years is up doesn't mean you have to upgrade. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

FYI, Verizon Wireless is shutting down the Alltel data portion of the network that they were running for legacy devices. This is occurring in 2013 (January I think). Users with Alltel branded devices will only have access to voice and text when this shutdown happens.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
DongJi
Enthusiast - Level 1

ATT Customers are able to Upgrade with a discount and still able to keep their unlimited data, why can't Verizon be the same?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

DongJi wrote:

ATT Customers are able to Upgrade with a discount and still able to keep their unlimited data, why can't Verizon be the same?

For now...  They just implemented their changes.  Verizon already gave that upgrade and did away with it 1 year later.  Let's see in a year if AT&T still offers it then you would have a point, but you also have to consider Verizon doesn't throttle their 4G users. AT&T does at 5GB.  Maybe Verizon could have done their network optimization, but they can't due to Block C rules is why they got rid of unlimited.  AT&T doesn't have to follow those rules.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Why can I use my 4g device in so many areas even the UP of MI and An ATT subscriber can not?They need something to KEEP subscribers. That option will disappear, mark my word.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ercundiff,

As a company Verizon values and utilizes customer feedback to implement changes that will improve their overall experience. Most recently customers have told us that they want to share data, similar to how they share minutes today. As a result beginning June 28, 2012 Verizon launched new minute, message and data plans that can be shared with up to 10 devices and provide more value than customers receive today. With the changes made on June 28, 2012 the unlimited data feature was also discontinued.

Now with that being said, although Verizon has implemented new price plans they are all optional and we are in no means forcing customers to switch to these new plans. In addition we are not forcing customers off of the unlimited data feature. If you wanted to keep your current calling plan and the unlimited data feature this will not be a problem. The only time you are going to be required to change plans or you run the risk of losing  your unlimited data feature, is if you receive a phone at a discounted price when upgrading. Going forward you can choose from three different data options: 

1) A Share Everything Plan with shareable data.

2) A Usage based data plan (2 GB).

3) Finally, if unlimited data is still important to you, the last more costly option is full retail pricing for the device, or purchasing a device from a third party. In both of these situations you would have the to retain your unlimited data.

Although currently there are no talks of bringing the unlimited data feature back to Verizon, I will ensure your feedback is submitted regarding this request.

Thank you,

GeorgeP_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
DroidudeAZ
Contributor - Level 2

If you pay the full (unsubidized) price for the new phone you can keep your unlimited data plan. Thats the only way that I know of. Its worth it if you use your phne as a mobile hotspot or use a lot of data.

0 Likes
zombielove69
Contributor - Level 1

If you buy a new phone unsubsidized, you can still keep your unlimited data, so far. Or buy a used phone of ebay or go to swappa, swappa has great reviews from what I've read everywhere on the net for used phones.

Also they're tiered data plan is designed to be a cash cow for them since the amounts for data is ridiculous in prices for packages, so its doubtful they will revert back.

Personally I'd be worried about next year when they start their VOLTE (voice over data), when phone calls are going to be placed over the data stream from your smartphone. From what I saw i think one hour of talk over data is 35 mb or so.  So people on the lowest tiers and minimal data could get screwed fast, especially if your family is sharing the data so you have to watch uploads, downloads and calls. How nice of them to give unlimited calls and text now for $40 per smartphone, plus the additional charge for data on top of that,  over the tiered plans and then they get rid of the phone part to switch phone calls to your data stream to burn through your data limit faster.

0 Likes
LuvMyLabs
Contributor - Level 1

I'm guessing if enough people leave the them, they will basically be forced to revert to unlimited data. Seriously, what good is a smartphone if you can hardly use it? Or use it, while all the while worrying about going over your limit? It cracks me up that verizon sells a phone and then tells people to use another network to use it...Wifi..comcast, etc. Verizon can use their LTE network to entice subscribers all they want but what good is it with data caps? Funny really.

(Oh yes, we have LTE but you can't really use it much! Use your wifi instead.) LOLOLOLOL.

Not applicable

LuvMyLabs wrote:

I'm guessing if enough people leave the them, they will basically be forced to revert to unlimited data.

We'll see Verizon started this right before the start of the second quarter which just ended on Sept 30th. So we will see what the churn numbers are for Verizon when they release the quarterly report next Thursday.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Although churn was up a tad, new post paid subs was 1,535,000 for the third quarter....   And the churn is still the lowest for the big 4

0 Likes
LuvMyLabs
Contributor - Level 1

Brian68 wrote:

LuvMyLabs wrote:

I'm guessing if enough people leave the them, they will basically be forced to revert to unlimited data.

We'll see Verizon started this right before the start of the second quarter which just ended on Sept 30th. So we will see what the churn numbers are for Verizon when they release the quarterly report next Thursday.

And we will look again in 6 months.

0 Likes
Not applicable

LuvMyLabs wrote:

Brian68 wrote:

LuvMyLabs wrote:

Not looking good for you LoveMyLabs

Verizon churn rate was a mere 0.91% for Quarter 3. Remember that Share Everything and the new requirement to keep unlimited were already in place BEFORE the 3rd quarter started. Now yes that is an increase of 0.07% over the last quarter when the churn rate was 0.84%. So I guess you could infer that these new policies led to an additional 6000 people leaving over the last 3 months. Considering Verizon added 1.5 million new customers I doubt they are worried about losing 6000 because of these new policies.

0 Likes
LuvMyLabs
Contributor - Level 1

Brian68 wrote:

LuvMyLabs wrote:

Brian68 wrote:

LuvMyLabs wrote:

Not looking good for you LoveMyLabs

Verizon churn rate was a mere 0.91% for Quarter 3. Remember that Share Everything and the new requirement to keep unlimited were already in place BEFORE the 3rd quarter started. Now yes that is an increase of 0.07% over the last quarter when the churn rate was 0.84%. So I guess you could infer that these new policies led to an additional 6000 people leaving over the last 3 months. Considering Verizon added 1.5 million new customers I doubt they are worried about losing 6000 because of these new policies.

I was expecting the numbers to be good this time, I am not expecting the numbers to continue to stay strong.

0 Likes
Sibleyldelouis

I think. Verizon.  Is getting to. Damn big  

There changeling plains all around

I have. Unlimited data and. Texting  

I'll. Never change that.  

I think Verizon is. Going. To lose a lot of customers

Do. To the fact there prices are so high 

And.  Thoses. 4 g.  Phones suck.  But that is my opinion

0 Likes