Connectivity gone since 4.4.2 KitKat Update
Modnar
Enthusiast - Level 3

My phone worked great until the update.  Since then I am having battery drainage issue and connectivity issues both on my Wifi and LTE.  The phone is now refusing to allow any connectivity but shows 3G connectivity with a constant upload arrow.  I have removed and reinstalled the SIM card with a reboot.  I have turned off wifi, Bluetooth and location in an attempt to prolong the battery but nothing short of airplane mode seems to kill the constant upload arrow.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connectivity gone since 4.4.2 KitKat Update
Modnar
Enthusiast - Level 3

So it looks like everything is back to normal and I am a more educated Android User.  For anyone who reads this, here is what I did.

• First, captured screen shots of my phone home screens, apps, any settings I wanted to find (like accounts), etc.
  • I made sure my contacts and apps and data (pictures) were all backed up by tethering my phone to my computer and using tools like DropBox.
  • Hard Reset the phone.  This makes your phone act like a new device with the upgraded OS.  Pain in the butt but you do gain the capabilities of KitKat for your effort.
  • Go through Setup wizard on the phone
  • IMMEDIATELY turn off mobile data if you want to have your downloads go through a wifi connection (recommended).
  • Configure wifi and let the Play Store reload your apps.  My phone got every one back automatically but the screen capture earlier was handy to double check.  If I used other stores for apps I don't know if I would have been so lucky.
  • Reconfigure your home screens, accounts, etc.  Pain in the butt time wise but helped me clean unused apps off my phone and remind me of some of the useful apps I forgot I had.

Good luck and feel free to contact me if these directions aren't completely clear.  I am back up and running, am using a new app (My Data Manager) to track which apps are sucking up data usage, and feel more zen with my phone

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Modnar, help is here front and center! A working phone is super important! The next step is to test the phone's connection using safe mode. View details here: http://vz.to/1p9s8uf Also, what zip code are you located in? Does signal or connectivity improve between outdoors and indoors?

WiltonA_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
Modnar
Enthusiast - Level 3

Let me be clear on the issue because I have learned some new things in the last few minutes.  Connectivity is there but useless.  I noticed that my phone would show me as having 3G or 4G connectivity with a constant upload arrow.  However, I was not able to do anything.  Websites wouldn't load, games would not connect, Apps (like Verizon's) would not connect.  Now I see that my phone was indeed connected because it used over 150MB while I did nothing.  It also used 45MB yesterday.  Looking at my usage history, those are the two top used in a single setting all month and I typically use less than 750MB a month.  The only recent changes to the phone are the KitKat update (done a few days ago via wifi) and loading the Android Device Manager App

I have put it in safe mode and now both the upload and download arrows are going (first all day) but I am able to load a web page.  Obviously I can't test most apps.  I have already had to up my data usage because the only thing that stopped my phone was I hit my monthly personal cap.

0 Likes
Modnar
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry.  Zip Code is 45433 at the moment.  In safe mode both the upload and download arrows stayed lit so I put it back into regular mode with the same issue.  It drained 10% of my battery in the 10-15 minutes or so that I did these actions

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Modnar,

Thanks for the info. The good news is that there isn't any reported issues in the area. May I ask have you adjusted your settings to accommodate the software update? If not then here's a link to do so. http://vz.to/1lM8CHx. Also, to assist with the connectivity issue, we may have to perform a factory reset. Can I assume that your info is backed up on Verizon Cloud or your Gmail account? If so then I would suggest doing the reset, http://vz.to/1lM8KH6. Once you have done so, please retest and keep us posted.

Thank you…

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Modnar
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have done a complete Hard Reset.  I am still working on resetting up apps and checking settings.  That will take me a day or so but it looks like all data is there.  I'll be back on tomorrow to tell you how it acted.

0 Likes
Modnar
Enthusiast - Level 3

So it looks like everything is back to normal and I am a more educated Android User.  For anyone who reads this, here is what I did.

• First, captured screen shots of my phone home screens, apps, any settings I wanted to find (like accounts), etc.
  • I made sure my contacts and apps and data (pictures) were all backed up by tethering my phone to my computer and using tools like DropBox.
  • Hard Reset the phone.  This makes your phone act like a new device with the upgraded OS.  Pain in the butt but you do gain the capabilities of KitKat for your effort.
  • Go through Setup wizard on the phone
  • IMMEDIATELY turn off mobile data if you want to have your downloads go through a wifi connection (recommended).
  • Configure wifi and let the Play Store reload your apps.  My phone got every one back automatically but the screen capture earlier was handy to double check.  If I used other stores for apps I don't know if I would have been so lucky.
  • Reconfigure your home screens, accounts, etc.  Pain in the butt time wise but helped me clean unused apps off my phone and remind me of some of the useful apps I forgot I had.

Good luck and feel free to contact me if these directions aren't completely clear.  I am back up and running, am using a new app (My Data Manager) to track which apps are sucking up data usage, and feel more zen with my phone

0 Likes