Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samsung Note 5 WiFi and Battery Drain Issues After Marshmallow Update (6.0.1)
xstreampros

Ever since I did the recommended Marshmallow update, 6.0.1, I cannot connect to any WiFi at any location. I even switched routers to determine if that was causing the problem. I have embedded a side by side comparison of a speed test between my Note 5 and Note 3. Technical details of setup are at the end of this post. Also I noticed a significant battery drain after the update. I did the update I believe this past Sunday, March 6.

Technical Specs of Network:

• Equipment:
    • Cisco WRVS4400N (latest firmware)
    • Cisco RV180W (latest firmware)
  • Internet Speeds:
    • Hardwired: 200+ Mbps download / 30+ Mbps Upload
    • WirelessIMG_20160311_074559.jpg

Although I have unlimited data with WiFi in these locations I need to be able to maximize my speeds. Please advise on fix. I have tried to reboot phone, start in safe mode and throwing the Note 5 against the wall (haha, just kidding)

Labels (1)
Re: Samsung Note 5 WiFi and Battery Drain Issues After Marshmallow Update (6.0.1)
dca1907

I am also having battery drain issues. Didn't even last 7 hours of idle time when fully charged!

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Note 5 WiFi and Battery Drain Issues After Marshmallow Update (6.0.1)
Shokk

Turn Bluetooth off and wifi will work again. I am having the same problem.

xstreampros

Thank you. That is a viable workaround. A problem associated with me and I'm sure others is I use a Fitbit and stream music to Bluetooth headphones. Fitbit uses Bluetooth to sync.

Another problem I found is that when the phone is on mute all alerts come through as if it is on normal sound. As always I've tried a reboot and safe mode.

Verizon and Samsung - ARE YOU WORKING ON THIS? I've been a loyal Verizon and Samsung client for years and have a corporate account. Don't change my mind.

0 Likes
bearone21
Leader

who's you're internet provider??

fwiw:

my battery usage has been about 50% better after 6.0.1, doze works well.

0 Likes
xstreampros

I have Time Warner Cable. Hardwired speeds are 230+ Mbps down and 30+ Mbps up. As mentioned in an above reply I turned BT off and got 14 Mbps down and 23 Mbps up. My Note 3 performs 100x better.

I am running the latest Arris Motorola Modem SB 6183 I think Docsis 3.0, Cisco gigabit wireless router and all lines are over Cat 6.

0 Likes
bearone21
Leader

my cheapie $30 netgear router/150 max with cox.....usually i'll peg the meter earlier in the day.Cox Speedtest 03122016.jpg

0 Likes
Bogger44fl

I'm having the same problem since the update. But only on networks on 2.4ghz. If I connect to my 5ghz network it works great. Very frustrating while on the go. Hopefully an update will fix this.

alngater73

I am having major battery drain issues since the update on my Note 5. I am hearing Samsung is working on an update to help fix both wi-fi and battery issue. One other issue I ran into is the power saving mode, its almost useless to yse the immediate function as it will not allow anything to sync. I need certain things to sync regardless and others not so much. They need to create a place where you can set exceptions.

0 Likes
bearone21
Leader

that's what power saving is all about, use as is but you don't get any options.

bogger44fl:

i don't do wi-fi unless it's encrypted, never public wi-fi.

0 Likes