KitKat Update Bluetooth Issues
ash7

After the KitKat update on my Samsung Galaxy S4, my phone no longer stays connected to the Bluetooth in my car.  It will constantly connect and disconnect!

My car is only 5 months old, so it's the phone, not the car.

Does anyone know if Verizon will do anything to fix it?  My phone is almost worthless to me if I can't connect to the Bluetooth in my car. 

I am very frustrated!!!

Thanks for any advice!

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: KitKat Update Bluetooth Issues
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ash7 We certainly understand the importance of hands  free driving. We want to makesure your bluetooth on the phone is working correctly. Does your phone connect with anyother bluetooth devices?

Sheritah_vzw
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes
ash7

No it doesn't and other phones connect fine to my car.

On May 29, 2014 12:16 PM, "Verizon Wireless Customer Support" <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am so sorry that it has stopped connecting to any bluetooth devices ash7! I'd like you to restart in Safe Mode http://vz.to/1fn5Whk and try connecting again. Please let us know if you're able to connect this way.

Thank you,
MichelleH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Tony-Kourepenos
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's really clear that the Kitkat upgrade was not properly regression tested to ensure all the features functioned properly.  My Motorola Droid Maxx HD's bluetooth worked relaibaly until the update.  Now, I have to manually delete the phone from my car's directory and reconnect it everytime.  I would really like to know how to restore the previous operating system or get a staus update on Verizon's plans to address this issue.  I would be embarassed if I delivered a software update that was as poorly designed and tested as this one.Tthe text messaging graphics are atrocious, as everything received or sent is the same color white.  This was a poorly done effort. 

corsocal
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the exact same issue. My car is 5 months old as well. Prior to the update the bluetooth worked perfect. After the update constant disconnect and reconnect with all bluetooth devices. Love the testing verizon put forth before the release. This is my company phone and its quite embarrassing when my voice cuts in and out while talking with a client. Not to mention its the law in california to use a hands free device. Booting in safe mode doesnt resolve the issue. Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

VZW passes the blame to Android and nothing is resolved. Put some pressure on your vendors VZW and get it fixed.

Tony-Kourepenos
Enthusiast - Level 2

What I have found out is when I finally do get the phone (Droid Razr Maxx HD) connected to the Car (Lexus RX), the phone will continue to connect automaticallyas long as I leave the phone bluetooth on.  If I reboot the phone or shut the bluetooth off, it will not reconnect automatically.  I then need to manually delete the phone from the car directory and add it back on again.  This has actually become more problematic as I cannot reliably connect my phone to my car's bluetooth. Adding it back onto the car directory the last time took me almost a week and I cannot figure out a repeatable sequence of steps to get the phone to connect to the car reliably.  It's almost like it loses a software initialization key during power down of the phone's bluetooth and cannot properly handshake to reestablish the connection during the subsequent power up.  It boggles my mind that someone could do such a poor job of verifying functionality before pushing an update out to such a large number of people.  Judging by the posts, this issue is specifically related to the Kitkat update pushed from Verizon and is independent of the phones and manufacturers.  Verizon appears to 1) not fully acknolwedge that they created and own the problem, and 2) seem pretty clueless about how to approach fixing something like this.  I suspect this issue will last for months, if not longer.

Tony-Kourepenos
Enthusiast - Level 2

There was a system update (183.46.15) that was pushed out today.  From what I read on line (sparse info), this update is supposed to address the bluetooth and wifi conflict issues observed in the last upgrade.  I hope it corrects the bluetooth connectivity issues that were incurred also.  Has anyone implemented the upgrade and observed any changes, good or bad?

0 Likes