Not getting phone calls or text when on wifi
jwlamb

My wife and I recently upgraded to S21 ultras.  Right after we upgraded we noticed that we were not getting phone calls or texts when we had the wifi turned on (data still on, not in airplane mode, just turned on wifi without any other changes).  If we turn off the wifi, the calls and texts come through like normal.  Took the phones back to the verizon store but they couldn't figure it out either.  This is very dangerous as I might be calling the wife in case of emergency and it goes straight to voicemail and she never gets a notification of a call or any of my texts until the wifi gets turned off and all the texts come through all at once.

Update: We think we found the cause. This will need to be investigated by tech support to find out why this setting is not working properly.  We disabled Wi-Fi Calling and got calls to go through.  When Wi-Fi Calling was turned on with WiFi on, it limited phone calls and text as the WiFi did not support Wi-Fi calling.  It shouldn't restrict calls and texts to only wifi, if the data network is still available it should allow calls and texts to continue to go through regardless if Wi-Fi Calling is on and regardless if the WiFi is connected.  Sometimes we're watching videos and turn the wifi to reduce the buffering. While watching the videos calls weren't going through. We would message via facebook or something, turn off the wifi and then be able to call.  With the Wi-Fi Calling turned off, the calls were going through.

If this is a problem with the phone and the settings, then the Wi-Fi Calling feature should not be defaulted to be on when getting new phones.

0 Likes
Re: Not getting phone calls or text when on wifi
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having issues with receiving calls or texts while on Wi-Fi is a concern that must be addressed. We are here for you and want to get this matter resolved.  Can you please send us a Private Message, so we can delve into this? *Lisa

0 Likes
CrankyCustomer
Enthusiast - Level 1

There is a setting that you need to take a look at. The first is "mobile data only apps" and I  think it'll fix your issue. There's a related setting called "switch to mobile data", but most likely not a fit for your situation.

tsarazen

Thank you so much for the solution, (turn off WIFI Calling in settings), but I agree this isn't a permanent fix. Samsung and/or Verizon need to fix this Priority Problem. A smart phone's PRIORITY is to make and receive calls and texts. All the rest is fluff.

0 Likes
MAQ90

did you ever get this figured out? im having the same problem with new S22 ultra

0 Likes
jwlamb

Nothing more than what is listed in the original post 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Oh, no! We would be more than happy to troubleshoot any issues you are having. Please follow and DM us, so we can help.

*Cassandra

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jwlamb, we understand the importance of staying connected regardless of circumstances. Wi-Fi calling is a helpful feature many customers use. To clarify, are you Samsung Ultra devices specifically Verizon devices or were they purchased elsewhere? We definitely want to help get this figured out for you. 

*Joshua

CarmineToaster

Has this issue been resolved? I am having the same issue with my S22 Ultra.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good morning CarmineToaster, I am here for support and motivated to help! Please send us a Private Note to get started troubleshooting your call and text concerns. 

*Cheyenne

0 Likes