S3 won't charge after Kit Kat update
DaBBQJudge
Enthusiast - Level 2

After receiving the Kit Kat update this week I'm having difficulty charging the battery.  I have 8 chargers, 2 OEM Samsung with OEM cables that came with both my wife's and my S3.  None would charge the phone unless you turn it off, pull battery, replace battery, and don't turn back on until finished charging.  I went to Verizon service center and they sent it back for replacement.  Received replacement S3 today.  I transferred SIM and SD card from old phone, booted, and get it up and running.  It was charging just fine.  I then installed the Kit Kat update and it's now having the exact same problem as my original phone.  Any suggestions how to remedy this problem?  I'm traveling for work leaving Sunday and I have to have a working phone for the trip.

Re: S3 won't charge after Kit Kat update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DaBBQJudge,

We want to make sure that you have a working phone when you travel. When you had the phone replaced was the battery replaced as well? If not, we suggest that we replace the battery. Please keep us posted.

Safe Travels,

RobinD_VZWSupport

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
DaBBQJudge
Enthusiast - Level 2

Support,

No, the replacement phone did not come with a replacement battery.  It was phone only minus back, battery, SIM, and SD card.  Should I return to the local Verizon service center today to request a replacement or will I need to purchase one?  I'm going there anyway to get a new SIM so I can use the ISIS payment app anyway.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DaBBQJudge,

I suggest that we replace the battery on the phone. Especially, if you are having problems with the charging. Also, what a great question. Yes they will be able to replace your SIM card for ISIS.

RobinD_VZW

DaBBQJudge
Enthusiast - Level 2

replaced battery still same problems.I believe its a software problem with the KitKat upgrade. here are the facts. I have 8 chargers. All eight worked with both my phone and my wifes phone both galaxy s3.I received KitKat update first.immediately after the update I experienced charging problem intermittently with all Chargers.Verizon replaced my phone with another galaxy s3. That phone with my same battery charged perfectly with all 8 Chargers.that replacement phone then received the KitKat update immediately began experiencing the same charging issues as my original phone. my wife's phone at the same time continued to charge with no issues with all of our chargers.my wife's phone then received the KitKat update and immediately began experiencing the exact same charging issues that I am experiencing.in the meantime I had received a warranty replacement phone another galaxy s3 from Verizon. The charging problem was resolved however it was running on jelly bean and jelly bean it worked with all 8 of my Chargers without issue.  The replacement phone then receive the KitKat update once again it immediately began having the same charging issues. Verizon suggested i replace my battery which I did at my expense. No change, problem still exists.

Summary:

3 galaxy s3 phones charged with no problems on jelly bean and immediately began experiencing problems after kit Kat update. 2 of the chargers are one s3 chargers and 1 is oem galaxy tab charger.

What should I do next?  This is a MAJOR problem. My wife takes call for cardiac surgery and I travel for work (leaving tomorrow for the week) do we need our phones to charge and work!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DaBBQJudge

Thanks for your continued efforts! I'd like to test the charging in Safe Mode on your VZW charges to see if the issue continues. This will stop any apps and data that wasn't pre-installed from running. Here's how: http://vz.to/OfrEXw

RuthW_VZW

Branden_Wirkkala

I am having this same issue and I have tried safe mode but it still doesn't work to charge it. Just a big red X where the lightning bolt should be. If I turn the phone off it charges fine but as soon as I turn it on it shows a big red X where the charging should be and this only happened after it updated to KitKat.Also tried multiple chargers and cables and still nothing.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Branden.Wirkkala lets get you charged up! Has there been any recent changes to the device other than the update? Out of the chargers you're using, is one of them the manufacturer's charger?

AshleyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Mortifico
Enthusiast - Level 2

Having the same problem here.  Started immediately after the update...Please take a hint...It's the update that caused the problem!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Mortifico,

We only want to help get your device working again so you can love it like you used to! Have you ever tried a Rapidly Charging Charger with your phone after the issue started? I suggest trying that out and seeing if it'll do the trick!

SarahO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport