Samsung Galaxy S3 Kit Kat Update = Worse Reception
Dampier
Enthusiast - Level 2

I updated to Kit Kat on Friday afternoon and ever since I have noticed a dramatic deterioration in signal strength on my device, often rendering it with no wireless reception whatsoever. Did a factory reset with the same results. Anyone else notice this?

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Kit Kat Update = Worse Reception
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Oh boy! The update should be an enhancement for you.
Although the bars of signal may be lower, it would be best to check the signal strength (RSSI).

• From a home screen, select Apps  (located at the bottom).
  • From the Apps tab, select Settings.
  • Select About phone.
  • Select Status.
  • Review the following:
  • Signal strength4G LTE Signal should be greater than -82 dBm (e.g. -58 dBm). A value of -96 dBm indicates no signal. If the signal is between -82 dBm and -96 dBm, move the device to an alternate location (an outdoor location is preferable). 3G or 1x/EVDO Signal should be greater than -95 dBm (e.g. -73 dBm). A value of -125 dBm indicates no signal. If the signal is between -95 dBm and -125 dBm, move the device to an alternate location (an outdoor location is preferable).
  • Mobile network type
  • LTE
  • 3G

What values do you see?

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
DevinPotter
Enthusiast - Level 3

I too have noticed this problem with the kit kat update this happened with previous updates well documented Verizon please please please get some better software engineers or double check and redouble check your work to your modified software  I have hard reset my phone 4 time done multiple battery pulls to new sim cards I have checked for newer updates no good  Samsung / Verizon together do not know how  to do software

I am NOT sending my phone samsung to wait 10 days for my phone to be fixed there should be  an update before they released an update or just get the update correct the first time ...look at the history with the Samsung Fascinate  I know CDMA and samsung phones dont work well together but still there should be able to be fixed why even make a phone does that.... the update before this kit kat update it did alot better with reception Verizon please step up to the plate  :-[

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon Wireless Customer Support wrote:

Oh boy! The update should be an enhancement for you.
Although the bars of signal may be lower, it would be best to check the signal strength (RSSI).

• From a home screen, select Apps  (located at the bottom).
   • From the Apps tab, select Settings.
   • Select About phone.
   • Select Status.
   • Review the following:
   • Signal strength4G LTE Signal should be greater than -82 dBm (e.g. -58 dBm). A value of -96 dBm indicates no signal. If the signal is between -82 dBm and -96 dBm, move the device to an alternate location (an outdoor location is preferable). 3G or 1x/EVDO Signal should be greater than -95 dBm (e.g. -73 dBm). A value of -125 dBm indicates no signal. If the signal is between -95 dBm and -125 dBm, move the device to an alternate location (an outdoor location is preferable).
   • Mobile network type
   • LTE
   • 3G

What values do you see?

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

Uh. I regularly have -104 dBm 36 asu LTE signal on all the devices I have owned or used in the past few years and it still reflects as two bars of signal.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

jrod8942

Since the 4.4 KitKat update, my phone no longer connects to 3g, it does connect fine to 4g and wireless. My home location has spotty 4g and inside my building only had 3g. Would not be able to connet to only 3g be an issue with the SIM card?

0 Likes
betatronic

I am having the exact same issue on my GS3. I have also noticed that the handoff/switch between 4g/3G is really bad, to the point that the data connection is dropped for at least 45sec on avg. Performance overall on the phone has decreased.  But the reception issues are quite apparent. I'm open to assist tech support with any troubleshooting to get this addressed. 

THanks

0 Likes
imadude1134

Same issue here on my GS3. did the 4.4.2 and now I only get Wifi and 4G. And often, the 4G is spotty. Prior to the update, had only minor issues. Now I have to reset my phone 3-4 times per day unless I am on Wifi.

Sitting at my desk at work (where previously I had ZERO issues with connectivity)

-Signal fails, wait for 10 mins, still no signal.

-Reset and have signal for a few hours, then it fails and no signal anymore.

-Repeat

What is up with this?

0 Likes
Justin384
Enthusiast - Level 1

Also having the same issue. At my home I get no service and finally had to cave by paying for an expensive network extender. At the office I get spotty 4G service as well maybe 1 bar. I would like to have the option to drop down to 3G but I don't see any options in settings to force this change.

Any Suggestions?? Please help VZ Wireless.

Thanks,

Justin 

0 Likes
fakin987

Likewise! I live in the Dalas-Fort Worth metroplex and prior to the update was getting 4G pretty much everywhere. Now it seems like I'm usually on 3G. 4G is the primary reason I got my Galaxy S3. I can't even get uninterrupted playback of the lowest quality streaming in Spotify. Currently, I'm connected to 3G with a signal strength of -82 dBm 4 asu. Help!

0 Likes
klutch850

Same here. I lose signal constantly for about 10 min at a time. My Google maps is now worse than a tomtom and it use to work flawlessly. We waited a long time for this update and i expect this issue to be worked out and soon. Its obviously a problem many people are having.

0 Likes