Screen turns on when receiving text message
nnfamily

The screen of my galaxy s4, when sitting idly on my desk, automatically turns on whenever I receive a text message. I don't want the screen to turn on because it will remain on indefinitely if I receive a text if while it's charging. All I want is for the phone to vibrate/notify me and turn the blue LED indicator on. How can I get rid of this setting? Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Screen turns on when receiving text message
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try messaging > menu button > settings > uncheck "preview message" under notification settings.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
nnfamily

Unfortunately, that is already unchecked. The settings I have checked are:

Auto-retrieve, Group conversations, Notifications (make sounds and show icon in status bar when you receive message), and Vibrate.

I've scoured most of the phone's settings and still haven't pinpointed which one it is.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would have to double check, but I don't think my S4 turns the screen on when a text message is delivered. I don't know how I have it set to keep the screen off.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
nnfamily

The weird thing is that it wasn't like this when I first purchased up the phone a couple of days ago, so it must be a setting that I unintentionally enabled. How irritating!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you install an app between then and now? Could it be causing the screen to turn on?

0 Likes
nnfamily

I haven't installed anything. A rep from Samsung insists that this is a built-in feature of the model I am using, but I'm quite certain that it wasn't like this from the beginning.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If there's a way to keep the screen from turning on whenever a text arrives, I haven't found it yet.

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

Found it.

From messaging screen, settings>notifications, (uncheck it). 

Text will arrive and screen will stay off.  When you turn on your screen your messaging icon will display that you have one unread message.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes and no ... yes, that keeps the screen from coming on ... but it also keeps the LED from lighting up.  You have no way of knowing you have a text message until you wake up the screen.

I suppose you could go this route and then install Light Flow from the Play Store to turn the LED on.

0 Likes