security & privacy: there's an attack on your wi-fi network.
ALINGELB
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently received the following alert, I assume from the Verizon Security & Privacy app:

There's an attack on your wi-fi network

20:c0:47:19:3e:13

This attack could allow someone to listen to your web traffic.  Do you want to disconnect ?

- Yes, disconnect

- No, remain connected

I've searched on-line but have not found any information on this message.

System info:

Samsung S7 on Verizon Wireless.  Wi-fi network is Verizon Fios.

Google Play shows all apps up to date except Samsung Connect.

Re: security & privacy: there's an attack on your wi-fi network.
deloused
Master - Level 3

It is the security & privacy app on your phone altering you of an attack on your WIFI network since the phone is accessing that router. The best way to prevent outside attacks to your home network would be to change your WIFI password to a new one, ensure your router firmware is up to date, as well as antivirus/firewall on the computer directly connected to the router.

ALINGELB
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is there a way that I can see what kind of attack has been identified ?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

WE greatly value your security and privacy! I apologize as the Support and Protection app is unable to identify what exactly was happening with the router that prompted the alert. I would suggest consulting your routers admin web site and troubleshooting option from the manufacturer.

YaleK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

public or secured wi-fi??

0 Likes
ALINGELB
Enthusiast - Level 2

The network is my home wi-fi, Verizon Fios.  I did poke around in the admin screens on the router but did not see any alerts.  Is there something particular that I can look for ?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate you taking time to reach out here. We are able to address Verizon Wireless cellular concerns via this page. It would be best to reach out to our FIOS firends via their Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/fios.

YaleK_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
DRL124
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been getting the same message several times throughout the day, including at home, at work and on other secured WiFi networks I have access to so this is not about just one router.  Is this a phone issue and not a router issue?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DRL124,

You definitely have valid concerns. When receiving an alert about your connection, it's always best to try to figure out if the device or from the network you're connected to. The message regarding an attack on your network is a general alert to let you know when the connection may have become unsafe. This isn't a device issue, but it surely can happen when connected to different Wi-Fi networks. You have the option to turn the alert off by going to Settings while in the Security & Privacy app and turning the "Alert me when connected to an unsafe Wi-Fi network" button off.

ShawnteJ_VZW

0 Likes
dwmc2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also, if you select "Disconnect" you are not allowed to reconnect to that WiFi, no matter what, unless you go to the verizon security & privacy app and turn OFF Wi-Fi Security.   The app assumes that if that Wi-Fi was ever under attack it will ALWAYS be under attack.  In fact, if you are connected to a Wi-Fi under attack and later, under your home Wi Fi, you see the warning and select Disconnect, you will be disconnected from your home Wi-Fi forever.