3rd phone on Kitkat
Vaporgirrl
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ordered my first Note 3 in April. Loved it...until the dreaded Kitkat update.  I have tried everything...SIM card swap, swapped out phone with newer build date.  Nothing has worked.  I had great service before the Kitkat update, but now I pretty much never have a cell phone signal in my house,  at work, and while driving. My phone has become a paperweight.

Went to the Verizon store the other day and they again ordered me a refurbished phone (so this will be #3). Clearly Verizon is aware of this issue, because they tried to blame Samsung for the issues and said it was Samsung's responsibility to fix it. I am not holding my breath that this 3rd phone will fix the issue. The store employees also said I could swap out for a Galaxy S5, which I don't want.  The S4 too small for me. I want a phablet that works!

When will Verizon fix this issue? When will Samsung release the update for Kitkat so we can actually use our cell phones to make calls?  I need reliable cell phone coverage, for work and for emergencies.

I like Verizon,  and don't want to switch carriers, but this Note 3 Kitkat fiasco has been awful 😞

Re: 3rd phone on Kitkat
stef7
Master - Level 2

When you get the third, report your results. KK enabled Band4 capabilities of the device, and I think the radio in your model is having problems with Band4. It's not clear if a SW update could fix things - it might be hardware. You could call Samsung and ask them how to disable Band4, so your device would only use Band13...

0 Likes
Vaporgirrl
Enthusiast - Level 2

Received the replacement yesterday. So far this Note 3 (build date 08/2014) seems to be the worst out of the 3 I have had in terms of signal strength Smiley Sad

0 Likes
harleydavid
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yep I've been in the same boat since May when I updated to KK. I've monitored this community since then and the support from Verizon has been shameful regardless of who's fault it is. I've researched a ton to figure out how to disable band4 and after going through all the procedures it reverts back to enabled as soon as you reboot.

I've done all the swaps, sims, replacements, etc and nothing works. One time I went to the store and the service rep tried to sell me something else and all you get here is a "I'm so sorry, we don't want to loose you"... Blah! I'm fed up.

The beginning of November Verizon will be shy 2 customers based on SH** support! I'm done!

stef7
Master - Level 2

Ouch. Maybe they CAN'T fix the Note3!

Did you try going into Settings | Tethering and Networks | System Select | Network Mode, and changing from Global to LTE/CDMA?

0 Likes
harleydavid
Enthusiast - Level 3

Been there done that. Makes no difference. Has it made a difference for you?

0 Likes
Vaporgirrl
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes I have tried switching from Global to CDMA/LTE/EVDO...doesn't help me unfortunately

0 Likes
Vaporgirrl
Enthusiast - Level 2

My signal strength is typically in the -96 to 109 dbm range 😞

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Fwiw I have an lg g2 and indoors at my house I get -109dBm.

0 Likes
Vaporgirrl
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah I wish it was only indoors that was the issue. Unfortunately I get the same poor signal strength outside of my house, on most major interstates, at work (while friends with Verizon service get great signal strength in the same).

0 Likes