5.1.1 Upgrade Ruined My Contacts (Note 4)
olliesam3

I did the upgrade this AM and now all my contacts are gone.  When i go to the contacts screen it just says, "updating contact list" with the circle of death over and over.  No I did not do any type of reset afterwards either.  I've tried everything i could find on the internet so far to no avail...about to launch my phone through a window.  Please help!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 5.1.1 Upgrade Ruined My Contacts (Note 4)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's work to ensure you can easily manage your contacts, Brian.  I am glad to see you have made some progress. In regards to the 2 contacts merging, the Cloud typically will be backing up the "Phone" contact. Have you tried clearing the contact completely and re-entering it? We certainly want you to have the best device experience, I apologize as we are unable to roll back software. The reset may help with random corruption that may have occurred during the update however it will not reinstall original version.
YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

olliesam3-

I definitely want this to be the last of your worries. Having your contacts corrected is a must and I trust we can restore them back. Please go to your app list and select the Verizon Cloud app, then click on backup now to restore those contacts. Please try to restart your phone and ensure you have a good internet speed if on WIFI. Please keep us posted.

CarmenT_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
scotchwhiskey
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a similar problem.  After I updated, when I try to open the Contacts App all I get is  swirling indicator and a message that says "updating contacts list"  and it never stops. Even after 24 hours.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Scotchwhiskey,

This deserve our immediate attention because I know I would feel lost without access to my contact list . Your Note 4 software update was  intended to improve the function of your phone. Let’s work together to correct this.  Please clear out your Phone applications Cache.  Click on the link for steps on how to complete and keep us posted  http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-122359/ .

YareliM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Willard84

Hi,

This did not work for me. All it did was backup corrupted contacts.

Most of my contacts are there, but some are missing. I have my sister and brother in law, for example, and it has both their mobile numbers in my sister's contact, and you can't see my brother in law's. When I try to add it, it says there's already a contact for him in there, but it's not visible. When they call or text, it shows up as the same person.

Additionally, I tried to update my son's phone number and it let me, but it keeps the old one and does not allow me to remove it through edit.

Also, battery life is noticeably deteriorated and it's not apps that are draining it. I didn't have this problem before the update.

I have to say, each update has been disappointing. The features I like are removed (I liked the dark operating system theme of Kit Kat, but it's gross white and teal or mustard now. I also liked the Amazon app suite and now that is gone), but I'm not seeing any drastic performance improvement. I know that is an Android not a Verizon issue, but these updates are terrible, imo.

How do I roll this back to the previous version and leave it there until 5.1.1 is more stable?

Brian B.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can't roll back to a previous version of the OS. Samsung wrote the code to prevent it. Anything else would be unofficial and can't be discussed on the community.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Willard84

Worst case, could I do a factory reset and just not upgrade? I believe I did that before when I had issues with a Kit Kat update. I remember you couldn't do it with the Lollipop update so I've had to put up with those gross white, teal and mustard colors for two phones now.

0 Likes
Willard84

Tried the clear cache as well and it did nothing. Just as an example of what's going on, I switched lines between my two son's. I updated my oldest son's contact info with the new number and deleted my younger son's (he's grounded from his phone...long story). When my son calls or texts, it still shows my younger son's name, even though the contact has been deleted and my older son has the phone and line. I noticed that when you edit there are three tabs. Google, Phone and Cloud. The Google and Phone contacts show only one number and it is correct, but the cloud still has two. I can't edit that as it is grayed out. Is thee any way to clear out the contact data in the cloud and re-upload it from the phone? That may solve my issue with contacts.

Still have a noticeable battery drain issue. I did not have a drain issue when I had the Amazon Apps Suite, so it's not that. It started right after the upgrade. Says the screen is the biggest resource hog, but it's only 4%.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

A factory reset will only restore the current installed OS version to a factory state. If an update is ready to install on the phone it might finish installing as part of the factory reset.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need to sign into your MyVerizon account online and edit the Cloud contact from there.

0 Likes