After update my phone just turns off
Smooner1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I updated my phone Sunday.  Everything seemed to be find.  Although, I couldn't find the data usage widget that it talked about on the update screen.  I put my phone on the cradle yesterday at work, eventually the screen went blank, I didn't think anything of it, by the end of the day I picked it up and it was turned off.  It had the 100% battery on the screen as though I was charging with the phone turned off, but I never actually turned it off.  So, last night, I put it on the cradle (yep, I have 2) and made sure my Alarm Clock Plus was set, well, I woke up and thought it was weird the sun was already up.  The phone had shut off again!  I look really put together today too!  not!  Anyway, do you think it's in one of the new customization settings that I need to tinker with?  I tried to go thru it, but I didn't see anything that would affect this.  Maybe I need an iPhone, although I'm sure that has issues too! 

0 Likes
Re: After update my phone just turns off
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi Smooner1,

I understand your concerns. I'd be frustrated if my phone powered off at random after a software update. My resources indicate that a software update may cause some 3rd party application conflicts and that a Factory Reset usually resolves such conflicts and the issues caused by them. Please perform a Factory Reset and keep us posted.

Keep in mind that performing a factory reset will remove ALL data including the Google account, system data, application data, application settings, and downloaded applications.

If you are eligible for upgrade and prefer to upgrade to an iPhone device please visit the iPhone Device Webpage at your convenience.

0 Likes
Smooner1
Enthusiast - Level 3

AntonioC_VZW wrote:

Hi Smooner1,

I understand your concerns. I'd be frustrated if my phone powered off at random after a software update. My resources indicate that a software update may cause some 3rd party application conflicts and that a Factory Reset usually resolves such conflicts and the issues caused by them. Please perform a Factory Reset and keep us posted.

Keep in mind that performing a factory reset will remove ALL data including the Google account, system data, application data, application settings, and downloaded applications.

If you are eligible for upgrade and prefer to upgrade to an iPhone device please visit the iPhone Device Webpage at your convenience.

Hi Antonio,

I really don't want to do a factory reset.  I haven't really had any problems with my phone until this last update.  I love the screen, the call quality is excellent.  But after you customize your phone just the way you want it, I hate to have to do a factory reset.  I am eligible to get a new phone, but don' t they all have their quirks?  I paid $200 for this one and the new one is going to cost about the same if not more.  Ugg.. So frustrated.

0 Likes
Smooner1
Enthusiast - Level 3

So, I finally did a factory reset.  I thought everything was corrected.  Nope.  It still shuts down out of the blue while sitting on the cradle.  Last night although it was sitting on the cradle, it started beeping the the battery was low.  I had to wake up, shut it down, still wouldn't charge, so I had to shut it down again, take out the battery and then it was charging.  So, this morning I'm at work and it sitting on the cradle and I look over, and it turned off!  I'm getting very frustrated. Nobody's helping me and I don't want to buy another $200-$400 phone!

0 Likes
Smokie11
Contributor - Level 1

Have you tried not using the craddle at all to see if the phone keeps shutting off?

0 Likes
Smokie11
Contributor - Level 1

Would you be king enough to post in the "Factory Reset Poll" thread that the factory reset did nothing to help you.

0 Likes
Smooner1
Enthusiast - Level 3
I have tried to just use the cable charger and it does do the restarting thing out of the blue. I wonder if the cradle has been effected by the upgrade? I really wish verizon would help me!
0 Likes
Sondy69
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ok.  So, I think I might have a clue to the turning off thing.  When I have my phone in the cradle and I let the cradle software come on and leave it, this is the only time that my phone will shut off (not the restarting problem, just when it turns off out of the blue).  If I use my Alarm Clock Plus app/screensaver, it has never just turned off.  It only does this when the "Desk Cradle" software is engaged.  Maybe the software update (gingerbread) caused a hiccup with this app which is not a 3rd party app. 

Any Verizon tech out there?  Can you check into this? 

-Sondra

0 Likes
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi Sondy69,

Thanks for the detailed feedback on the issues you are experiencing with your device. Are you able to duplicate the issue if you run your phone in Safe Mode? If issue stops while in Safe Mode, then a 3rd party application conflict is causing the issue. Regrettably, there is no easy way to determine which application is the bad apple and the only way to find the conflicting app is to remove all 3rd party apps and install one by one testing before installing the next one.

Additionally, while not a popular option, a Factory Reset has proven to resolve most post software update issues for other customers. Please try and keep us posted.

AntonioC_VZWSupport

Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes