Can't stay connected to 2.4 GHz wifi with my Galazy S7, only connects to 5.0 GHz wifi band
cloukinen
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have tried several things on the Androidcentral forum to no avail. My last software update was on 4/20. It's current. The last few days my Galaxy S7 will not stay connected to my 2.4GHz wifi band. It will only stay connected to the 5.0 GHz wifi band. I have no new apps installed. I tried safe mode, no difference. I have had the wifi router for 1 and a half years and I run two other phones on it (Moto Z Play and iPhone). The other two phones are working just fine and choose the 2.4 GHz wifi band as usual. I have tried all kinds of reboots on the router and phone, tried changing channels on the router. Nothing is making a bit of difference on this phone. Anybody experienced this phenomenon?

0 Likes
Re: Can't stay connected to 2.4 GHz wifi with my Galazy S7, only connects to 5.0 GHz wifi band
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cloukinen,

Updating software on the phone should be an easy task with enhancements that will help improve the experience with your device. I am concerned to hear that was not the case with your phone but we will work to get this resolved for you. Have you been able to connect to any other Wi-Fi connection at 2.4GHz since the update with this device? How does the device perform on 5.0GHz that would make you want to use 2.4GHz as the preferred option?

CandiceH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Re: Can't stay connected to 2.4 GHz wifi with my Galazy S7, only connects to 5.0 GHz wifi band
bearone21
Legend

how old is the router??

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

What type of router is it? Also are you using the security app from Verizon? If you are check in there to see if the app thinks it is not safe on the 2.4 ghz. A while back I know people were having problems with this app saying that their home wifi was not safe.

cloukinen
Enthusiast - Level 2

The problem wasn't due to a software update. The phone was working fine on the 2.4 GHz band after the update. The problem occurred in the last week without any updates or added apps, etc.

To answer your question about why I would prefer the 2.4 GHz....5.0 GHz connections are faster, but they don't go through walls very well, so using the 5.0 GHz connection close to the wifi router is fine. If you need to go further away from the router, in your garage for example or outside, you need to connect to the 2.4 GHz connection. If you only have the 5.0 GHz connection available, you won't have wifi in my garage. Most routers these days have two bands so that you can choose which one to use for all of your equipment and not run everything off of one.

I ended up trying all kinds of troubleshooting actions based on recommendations on androidcentral.com until they ran out of suggestions leaving the last option, a factory reset. That is finally what solved the problem. I will never know why, but the phone is back to normal now and staying connected to the 2.4 GHz wifi connection. I kept all of my apps too.

cloukinen
Enthusiast - Level 2

The router was bought new in October 2016 from Comcast.

cloukinen
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not sure what kind of router it is. It just says xfinity all over it. I use Avast Mobile Security and it has said my wifi "may be risky" until I let it run a scan and then it says it's fine. I might have had the verizon security app running too. I did a factory reset and now everything is good again and I'm connected to the 2.4 GHz. I may not have the verizon security feature running currently now. I might have declined it since I don't need both programs. Good to know.

Molly2626
Enthusiast - Level 1

You are my hero! I Spent all day troubleshooting and talked to two Verizon reps and not once was this mentioned as a culprit and that's exactly what it was! Thank you!!!

bearone21
Legend

purchased new in 2016 doesn't mean it was a new router!

0 Likes