Cannot retrieve files from Samsung S5
sandpointsteve

Samsung S5, all software up to date. Windows 7 Pro, all software up to date. Both devices run Norton (turning off Norton has no effect)

The phone when connected to a USB cable (Samsung cable) the phone only rarely shows up in windows explorer (yes, I have done the USB Debugging stuff but seems to have no effect on whether the phone shows up or not).

When the phone does show up there is nothing under it....no folders, no files...just a phone.

How 1. Do I get the phone to show up routinely?, 2. Show folders and files?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Cannot retrieve files from Samsung S5
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are sad to hear that your phone is not showing up with its files on your computer. We certainly want to help. When connecting to your computer have you already selected the MTP or Camera option shown on the notification screen of your phone? Have you tried repairing the software by using the Software Assistance tool online http://vz.to/2eS8mq4

StevenG_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sandpointsteve, it is very strange that the phone shows up without any content. We're here to help you with your transfer. Please take a look here > http://vz.to/2g7p3CI to see if this helps. Keep us updated.

Do you have total Mobile Protection insurance through Asurion? If so, please dial 866-653-4077 for step by step instructions with your tech coach.

MarcusS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

You are sure you are using a cable capable of supporting data transfer? The OEM cable that comes with the phone is probably the best to use, but a known cable that does support data (and not just charging) would suffice. I recently tried attaching my phone to the computer, used a cable I had handy and it wouldn't work. The problem was the cable.

Try a different USB port. Believe me, sometimes Windows doesn't recognize a device on the USB port you used before.

If you only have one port on your PC free, you might want to try rebooting the PC first, and then connecting.

Another possibility for you. Download an FTP server onto your phone, and an FTP Client onto your PC. For a server, I personally sideload SwiFTP onto my phone, but there are others in the PlayStore. For a client, I use FileZilla which I download to the PC.

Then I transfer files via FTP over WiFi and don't need a cable.

0 Likes