Connot transfer files from my phone to my computer
MARMIC1046

My previous Samsung phone could connect via USB to my computer and see the files on it. I am trying to connect my new Samsung Galaxy S7 to my computer and I don't have that option. Apparently, the default setting is to charge the phone. I do not have the option to select "connect as a media device". I have connected to ALL USB ports on my computer with no luck and I am using the approved USB charger.

Is there a menu item, somewhere, that I can set to change the USB settings from "charge" to "view files" while the phone is connected via USB, or prior to connecting via USB to a computer?

I did change it to developer options and changed it from charging to Media Transfer and that did nothing. I have rebooted my phone after each thing I have tried and I still don't have the option to change it from the drop down menu to "connect as a media device".

I have walked through several suggestions and still cannot see the phone on my computer and cannot changed the phone settings to Media Transfer. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Connot transfer files from my phone to my computer
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're correct, with the Marshmallow update, the default USB mode is charging only.  Whenever you connect the phone and computer with the USB cable, you'll need to pull down the notification shade, tap where it says USB Charging (you may need to scroll down through your notifications to see it, depending on how many notifications you have open), and change it to File Transfer.

Move Pictures / Videos from Device - Samsung Galaxy S7 / S7 edge | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
MARMIC1046

I don't even have the option to change it to file transfer when I scroll down. That's the problem

[Removed]

personal information removed as required by the

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It's always important to keep your files backed up, MARMIC1046. We definitely want to make sure you're able to transfer files to your PC. As Tikibar1 pointed out those would be the instructions to follow to transfer file from your phone. What options do you see when you access that menu? Have you been able to transfer files from your Galaxy S7 before? What type of files are you trying to transfer?

JosephE_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
MARMIC1046

I tried to back up photos this weekend and I do not have ANY options to change it.  My previous Galaxy S5 let me change the option to media transfer the entire time I owned that phone and I was able to back up my photos just fine so I know how to do it. This new phone the Galaxy S7 doesn't give me the option to pick anything. It just says charging. I went into the developer settings and changed the debugging settings there and that didn't help either. I still do not have any way to transfer the files onto my computer if the phone won't let me change the setting to Media Transfer.

Thank you for you help.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for clarifying that information, MARMIC1046. That is indeed concerning to hear that its not showing at all. I did some research on our device forums and it is possible that the USB device driver is missing. You can download and install the driver here: http://spr.ly/65818rV4x

Let me know if this helps.

JosephE_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to be able to safely back up your content, MARMIC1046. What happens when you tried downloading the USB device driver? We also want to ensure that any conflicts with Device Manager are resolved. Please review this link for steps: http://spr.ly/65838rnLR

AndreaS_VZW

0 Likes
MARMIC1046

Nothing happened when I re-installed the Samsung device driver. There are no errors in my device manager. My phone is not recognized at all when I plug it into my computer. I have plugged my phone into all 3 USB ports and have tried both chargers that came with my phone. I have rebooted after each step and I have also rebooted my phone as well. My computer has not updated since I bought this phone and my previous Samsung connected without a problem. I have a new job that I will have to transfer photos from my phone to my computer daily and this is a huge problem for me.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MARMIC1046, I want to ensure you are doing the steps to transfer your files in the correct order. First please ensure your device is unlocked before plugging it into the computer. Once you plug the device in, pull down the notification tab and select Transfer Files.From here, you should get a pop up window on your computer to transfer the files from your phone to your computer.

MahrizaP_VZW

0 Likes
MARMIC1046

That's the problem ugh....when I pull down the menu I don't have the option to transfer. It only says charging.  I have said this multiple times in my previous  answers.  I do not have the option to choose media transfer. My previous samsung phone had that option so I am aware of how to transfer files.

0 Likes