Data usage problems
cnovogradac

i have the Samsung s4 mini and in the past two weeks whenever I go to my parents house my phone pops up with an emergency alert thing. The alert is telling me that phone data changes when outside of the U.S. and asking if I want to allow access to data while outside the country.

The problem is, I am not outside of the country. It gives me the options and a phone number to call about "global" number.

I am no where near a border to Canada or Mexico, it shows me my location, in the United States for my weather.

Is there something I can do to fix this?

0 Likes
Re: Data usage problems
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Cnovogradac,

We know that global or roaming alerts can be alarming! Let's get this fixed. Have you visited your parents home prior with the S4 and did not receive the alert? What zipcode is the issue occuring in?

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
cnovogradac

I Got the phone in March or April and visit my parents house once a week. I went to Caifornia for 3 months and came back two weeks ago. Once I arrived home the alerts began popping up. I had never received them prior. I have been there a lot these past two weeks and it shows up about half the times. The zip code is 98359. I live only about 10-15 minutes away from them And never have the problem at my house.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cnovogradac,

Thanks for the info! After review, I do show that zip code 98359 is somewhere near the British Columbia/Canada border and your device may pick up a roaming signal from miles away. Have you disabled the roaming features on your device?

EfrainM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
cnovogradac

SSo why is my zip code 98366 at home not a problem? These areas, both zip codes, are south of Seattle and many miles away from the border. How is it picking up a roaming signal from much more than 100 miles away?

no, I don't think I have, but I am not sure.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cnovogradac,

Great questions! Even though you all live close when going to your parents house you can be pulling from a completely different tower then the one you use connect to when at home. Have you tried removing and reinserting your SIM card to reset the device with the network? http://vz.to/YGC099

LindseyT_VZW

0 Likes
cnovogradac

I Have removed the SIM card in the past two weeks. I just don't underStan why I am being told it is "close" to the border. It is no where near the border. South of Seattle. 4 hour drive to Canada. It is not like I live in Bellingham, Wa which is close to the border.

could there be something wrong with a tower that pins me close to Canada that would also result in everyone coming to my parents house getting old Amber Alerts? Every time anyone seems to go over there with Verizon they get Amber Alerts. I have personally recdived them 5 or 6 times, my parent get them weekly, other family visitng got them once or twice in two days. They are all old but we only get them at my parents.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your patience is greatly appreciated on this matter snovogradac. Let's look into this deeper. Can I assume that you toggled the GPS settings on and off? Also, did you experience this issue prior to the last 2 weeks? If not then what changes were made on the device within the last 2 weeks? For example, any new app downloads or updates. Please advise so we can continue to investigate.

Thank you…

ArnettH_VZW

0 Likes
cnovogradac

yes, I have turned the location on and off. I have very few apps even on my phone. I have only downloaded one within the two weeks, and it was only a couple of days ago, so now where near when this problem began. The only updates are basic apps automatically updating, no software updates.

BOth thy the amber alert and global roaming started when I came home from San Diego on the 24th of November. My phone has been shut off, battery taken out, sim card removed, location turned off multiple times since I have been home and having these problems. Nothing ever happened in the many months Of owning my phone before all of this.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Got it cnovogradac, we'll pinpoint the issue! Lets start by disabling roaming by going into Apps, Settings, More Settings, Mobile Network, Global Roaming Access, and Deny data roaming access. Keep us posted!

AshleyS_VZW

0 Likes