External Speaker not working
jims2cool
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've had an issue with my Galaxy S5, and now S7.  When using Maps or youtube, many times the device thinks I have headphones plugged in, and the external speaker will not work. I have never plugged in headphones. What is causing this/

0 Likes
Re: External Speaker not working
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Do you carry the phone in your pocket? Try cleaning the headphone jack port, it sounds like something is stuck in there which is triggering the headphone jack to think something is in there. I've read where people use a q-tip with rubbing alcohol, just don't get crazy and make sure to squeeze dry the q-tip, getting water in there isn't good. You could also try compressed air, but again use caution,  you shouldn't put the straw or tip of the compressed air right inside the earphone jack and blast it at 100psi, do it gently and from a distance at first.

0 Likes
bobbyjack
Contributor - Level 1

How do you know the phone thinks headphones are plugged in? If I connect headphones while in Maps, I see nothing indicating headphones. Make sure media volume is up, and the speaker is not muted.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

If the S7 is like the S5, there is a headphone icon that appears indicating there is something plugged in and then the phones speaker won't "work" (engage?) because it's playing sound through the jack.

0 Likes
bobbyjack
Contributor - Level 1

FWIW, no headphone icon on my s7. I don't recall one on my s5, either. But it's been awhile.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

There is definitely one on the S5.

The other option is that it's defective and you should be within the 1 year warranty.

0 Likes