For second time android update has made my phone almost useless-- is there a fix?
PhownOwnr

I used to have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, and I recall that just about the time that the Note 5 was announced, there was an Android update that made the Note 3 run so horribly slow that it had to be replaced. I didn't like the idea of losing the SD card, so I instead updated to a Galaxy Note 4... now *surprise surprise* just as they announce the Note 7, there's an update to Android pushed on the Note 4 that *again* renders my phone useless.

I've stripped down more and more apps from the phone, trying to regain lost ground in performance (and frankly to get rid of apps that no longer function due to the drastically reduced capabilities of this device since the 'update'). This has not helped.

• The gallery stalls and thumbnails take 10 to 30 seconds to display, making virtually useless as a photo viewing device
  • Using the internet there are similar lags with screen loading so when you see a hyperlink and click on it there are several seconds of lag and frequently things jump around on the screen so it will open a different link than the one attempted to be clicked on, so it is virtually useless as a web browsing device (via Dolphin or Chrome)
  • Video and audio frequently stutter, so using it for an MP3 player (via Rocket Player) or for video viewing (via YouTube App) is annonying
  • GPS frequently disconnects, making it useless for run tracking via Runtastic, and making it virtually usesless for driving directions (via Google Maps or Waze)
  • Long lags make using the pen for drawing very difficult (via Sketchbook Pro)

...so basically now I have a very expensive basic-function phone.

I'm writing this to hopefully find some way to help regain my phone's functionality, and also to warn anyone who might think this line of phones is capable of use longer than one or two years. From my experience they are great phones until they are programmed to become instantly useless when new models are released.

I'd love to be proved wrong and to have someone share some way to undo the damage done by this update. Is there a fix to this update?

0 Likes
Re: For second time android update has made my phone almost useless-- is there a fix?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

PhownOwnr, I completely understand how important it is to keep your device up and running at 100%. It definitely sounds like you've done a lot of great things to get things going right. I'd love to ensure we keep going down this path together.

With all the lagging that happens when opening pictures, the internet, and the S Pen, have you tried using these when the device is in Safe Mode? Here's how to enable: http://vz.to/2bab8rJ

Let me know if this and other symptoms improve. this way.

RuthW_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: For second time android update has made my phone almost useless-- is there a fix?
Johnniedaniels

Tried safe mode only get about 40 photos to open

Removed MOST apps

Still not working

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Johnniedaniels, thank you so much for keeping us posted and we want to get this issue resolved for you once and for all. The last alternative in this situation will be to backup your data and complete a factory data reset. Here's information on how to complete tje factory data reset and please keep us posted with your progress. http://vz.to/2dTu6oc

GersonG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
diagoro
Contributor - Level 1

I'm having many of the exact same issues since the last major update, though no idea how things will be after the update I'm currently installing.

Really tired of playing 'whack a mole' on my web browser, and accidentally clicking on sketchy 'see what happens next, it's amazing' links I would never touch otherwise.

Yeah, the only option we have is to go through the thoroughly painful reformat step......and that may not even work!

[removed]

profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes