Galaxy S5 will only connect to home wifi, not others?
mimsydreamer
Enthusiast - Level 3

So, a couple of weeks ago I noticed this issue and haven't had any success at finding a fix. Halp!

I can connect to my home wifi, just fine. But when I try to connect to any other free wifi source (at school, doctor's office, mall, etc) that I used to be able to connect to just fine, it won't allow me. These sources have verification sites that pop up and you have to confirm connection; Username and password for school, just confirming terms of use with the dr. office, etc. When the pages pop up, I get a connection error in chrome:

At first it was ERR_QUIC_PROTOCOL_ERROR, but I disabled the quic protocol and now it's ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED. ( Screen shot of the error I keep getting: http://i66.tinypic.com/35aqaa0.png)

Booting in safe mode, I still can't connect.

Deleted all recently downloaded apps

Cleared the cache

Forgot and reconnected to the services

Smart network switch is disabled

I'm not sure what else I can do at this point. It's already costing me money in data since I can't connect to any wifi outside of my home.

Today I reset the Network settings and that didn't help either.

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Galaxy S5 will only connect to home wifi, not others?
mimsydreamer
Enthusiast - Level 3

I found the answer to this from another poster, on similar question:

Uninstall the updates from your Chrome browser. Whatever recent updates are blocking the wifi confirmation page from loading correctly. After uninstalling, "forget" the public wifi you're trying to connect to, then reconnect to it.

Lots of thank-yous to that poster. This was a life saver!!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mimsydreamer
Enthusiast - Level 3

I found the answer to this from another poster, on similar question:

Uninstall the updates from your Chrome browser. Whatever recent updates are blocking the wifi confirmation page from loading correctly. After uninstalling, "forget" the public wifi you're trying to connect to, then reconnect to it.

Lots of thank-yous to that poster. This was a life saver!!!

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

only secured wi-was selected, not public & had nothing to do with chrome updates.

0 Likes
mimsydreamer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Maybe that was your solution to your own connectivity issues?

For me, un-installing chrome updates instantly let me log into my college wifi. I still have trouble with some other, more public wifi. But switching default browsers to another one lets me log in. I can then switch Chrome back to default and carry on like normal. It's a pain to have to keep doing so, but at least I can finally use wifi away from home!

Also, I've found no settings on my phone that say "only secured wifi". And, even if there is such a setting, why wouldn't it allow me access to my college wifi? You can only access it by using your student ID and password, so it's a secured connection. Changing browsers also shouldn't effect this. Unless this option is a chrome specific setting?

0 Likes