How do I Connect Laptop to internet using Wifi of Galaxy S5
naviator2003

Well, after being on chat for about an hour last night, I got disconnected, with no solution. I'm trying to connect my laptop (has wireless g) to a wifi access point by going through my Galaxy S5's wifi (want to use its wireless n connection). I have found videos on youtube of people being able to do this, but when I try to tether to the phone using USB, the phone requires me to turn off Wifi (I have no choice). Then, the phone says "Checking Subscription Status", followed by "Mobile Number not found". The chat person would not answer my question as to what the "subscription status" is referring to.

Would love an answer as to how to do this. Thanks!

PS Even trying Mobile Hotspot results in the "Checking Subscription Status" response, "mobile number not found".

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How do I Connect Laptop to internet using Wifi of Galaxy S5
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@naviator2003 wrote:

Well, after being on chat for about an hour last night, I got disconnected, with no solution. I'm trying to connect my laptop (has wireless g) to a wifi access point by going through my Galaxy S5's wifi (want to use its wireless n connection). I have found videos on youtube of people being able to do this, but when I try to tether to the phone using USB, the phone requires me to turn off Wifi (I have no choice). Then, the phone says "Checking Subscription Status", followed by "Mobile Number not found". The chat person would not answer my question as to what the "subscription status" is referring to.

Would love an answer as to how to do this. Thanks!

PS Even trying Mobile Hotspot results in the "Checking Subscription Status" response, "mobile number not found".

Does your wireless account plan include a WiFi Hotspot option?  Is there a reason you're not accessing the WiFi access point directly from your laptop?

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
naviator2003

Thanks for reaching out! I currently have the Prepaid 5GB plan, which, to my knowledge, is supposed to include the wifi hotspot/tethering/mobile hotspot ability (I checked my online account, and there is no option for me to activate/deactivate this functionality).

My laptop is only wireless G. I wanted to see if the wireless N connection on my phone would work better for where I currently am (hotel). The wireless internet here is unstable, at least with wireless G (2.4GHz).

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there! Sorry to hear about the concerns you've been encountering regarding your mobile hotspot. When you try to activate this feature are you being presented with any kind of error message? *Kris

0 Likes
naviator2003

Kris,

When I select either the Mobile Hotspot or Tethering (USB or bluetooth), I get the following messages:

"Checking subscription status", followed by "mobile number not found".

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We can definitely look into what that status is referring to. Kindly shoot a Private Message our way, so we can take a closer look.

*Eli

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, naviator2003. We want to ensure you receive the help you need to resolve this issue. We are sending you a Private Note to assist you further.

*Cassie

0 Likes