Is There A Way To Stop Data Usuage When I am not using my device?
hfischermn

I rarely use my phone when at home yet I see usage at times when I haven't used the phone. Is there a way to either enable or disable data use or prevent apps from using data without express permission at the time of use?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is there a way to prevent Data usage when the device is on the shelf and not in use.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for providing us with that information, hfischermn. The information provided by, rcschnoor, is correct. Your applications are using data when they are not in use by receiving notifications and alerts that pop up on your device. Background usage can be turned off for a specific application. You can do this by heading to your Settings>Applications>Application Manager. Select the application you want to work with and head to Data Usage. Here you can restrict background data. Let us know if this helps.

JavierMD_VZW Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Is there a way to prevent Data usage when the device is on the shelf and not in use.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

hfischermn,

We never want to see you faced with unexpected data usage.The good thing is most phones give you the option to turn mobile/cellular data off. Which phone model do you have?

ShawnteJ_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
hfischermn

I have a galaxy note 4.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Put the phone in airplane mode, or just turn it off (power it down) altogether.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

How you go about this depends on how you expect to be able to use the phone.

When you pick up the phone, do you expect to see if there are emails/texts/alerts waiting for you to view?

If you do, how do you expect that information to show up on your device if your data is turned off? Unless you want to actually open an app in order to determine if there is information for you in that app, it MUST be able to access data in the background when you are not necessarily using the device.

If you want your phone to notify you when an email arrives, your phone has to be accessing data when you may not actually be using it for it to do so.

If you want your phone to notify you when a text arrives, your phone has to be accessing the network/data when you may not actually be using it for it to do so.

Your phone will not be able to notify you of incoming texts/emails/messages/etc when you are not using the device unless you allow it to access the network/data when you are not using the device.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for providing us with that information, hfischermn. The information provided by, rcschnoor, is correct. Your applications are using data when they are not in use by receiving notifications and alerts that pop up on your device. Background usage can be turned off for a specific application. You can do this by heading to your Settings>Applications>Application Manager. Select the application you want to work with and head to Data Usage. Here you can restrict background data. Let us know if this helps.

JavierMD_VZW Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You could turn off the cellular data connection while you are expecting to stay connected to your home wifi router. It only takes a few seconds to turn it off when you get home and the same amount of time to turn it on when you leave.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes