Is anyone else having Note 4 voice call issues, i.e., appears to go mute during call?
gatorjess
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having a problem with voice calls on my new Galaxy Note 4. It doesn't happen every time, but often when I've been talking for a few seconds the other person will suddenly be unable to hear me, even though I can still hear them. It's almost as if my phone has gone into mute. I'll hang up and call them right back (without changing any settings), and usually the connection is then fine. Anyone else experience this problem? I never had this problem with my Galaxy S3, so I'm puzzled.

Re: Is anyone else having Note 4 voice call issues, i.e., appears to go mute during call?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

gatorjess,
Let's get to the bottom of this! Have you checked the device when this happens to ensure you aren't accidentally pressing the mute button? If so, did this begin after anything specific (new application installation)? Please test the device in safe mode http://vz.to/1wFXcFk and share if you experience the same results. Please share so I may further assist. Thank you.

TominqueBo_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: Is anyone else having Note 4 voice call issues, i.e., appears to go mute during call?
ryan_rush

This issue has happened to me with every Samsung phone I've ever owned. I had 3 Galaxy S4's and each had this issue so I went away from Samsung for 2 years, and now I just got a Note 4 and this issue is happening again. It is the most frustrating thing to be on the phone with someone and have them shout that they can't hear you or you're breaking up. My thought was - this has to be a user error, so I did some testing.

I found out it's really easy to cover up the microphone hole on the bottom of the phone with your pinky finger. I called my wife's iPhone, held her phone's speaker to my ear, and starting talking into my phone. I specifically placed my pinky over the tiny mic hole on my phone & noticed that even when I shouted, I couldn't hear myself AT ALL in her iPhone - it was completely silent. If I rubbed pinky finger on the mic hole, it would cause a bunch of static in her phone. When I removed my pinky, I could hear myself perfectly. I just tried this test, so I'm not sure if it will fix the issue permanently but I imagine it will since I realized I naturally cover up the mic hole with my pinky finger.

Try testing this out & see if you're doing the same thing. Hopefully this fixes your issue.

0 Likes
Michael2756

I am having the same issue .  I checked the mute button and it is not on. It seem to  happen when I move the phone from my  face and back causing the screen to  light up  and go out due to  the proximity sensor.  One work  around is to  hit the power button when you start the call  keeping the screen off even when you move the phone from your face and back.  This should not be needed.  I have never had this issue with any other smart phone. there should be a better answer . 

0 Likes
twgps
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issues. This is getting really annoying. The problem seems to be getting worse.

Bergg
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes this problem just started.  I've had the phone for 8 months.  When this happens I seem to hear my own voice in the background like an echo.

Driving me nuts.  OK Samsung let's get a fix for this.  Several users are having this problem

FancyTalker2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the same problem 9 years later.  My wife and I both have Galaxy S8 phones and a couple of months ago people started complaining that our voices were breaking up when we talked with them.  Now in the middle of the conversation our phone would go mute, but 1) we were nowhere near the mute button, and 2) the mute icon was not lit. Sometimes we could call back and the phone would work, but often the other party still couldn't hear us.  There is another thread with the same issue: https://community.verizon.com/t5/DROID-Archive/Microphone-dropping-muting-after-10-or-so-minutes/td-...   I thought the problem might be local to our area or cell tower (20 miles north of Chicago), but my wife had the same problem in the middle of Chicago.  I could understand one phone starting to fail (they are 6 years old), but for both to fail in this same unusual way within a few weeks of each other? 

Someone suggested checking this message board for "dead air", relating to the cell tower not getting an update.  Can anyone shed any light on this?  Help!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching out ot let us know about the call issue with your devices. As it is happening in more than one location it would be correct that it is the device rather than the network. We will be sending a Private Note to walk through some troubleshooting steps. 

-Melissa

0 Likes