Messenger alerts /Amazon apps stopped working after 4.4.4 update
joeywyss
Enthusiast - Level 2

My text sound alerts stopped working after the recent forced update to my Samsung Galaxy Note 3. along with several other apps. I went into settings and turned off the current settings, and then turned them back on. Now, the only alert I get is on new text from someone, but nothing when someone responds to my text. I also get no alert for responses to answered texts. Reboots and Power downs have not fixed the problem.

0 Likes
Re: Messenger alerts /Amazon apps stopped working after 4.4.4 update
taxguyla

I feel your pain... I am having the same problem with text messages.  This is very frustrating!!  And no, removing the battery doesn't fix it.

0 Likes
taxguyla

I received an e-mail from a Verizon Support rep who was having the same issue.  He said a factory reset fixed it.  I'm not sure I want to go there myself.  I find if I return to the "Conversation List" (I think that's what its called -- its just the list of your texts by person), the notifications work again.  So, I'm just trying to get in the habit of hitting the "back" button twice if I dont want to keep an eye on the phone any longer.  However, if you are interested, here is what he sent me:

I'm sorry to learn of the issues you are experiencing with text notifications taxguyla! You indicate that issue started after latest software update; I had a similar notification issues after the latest update too, and I resolved by doing a factory reset. Give it a try http://vz.to/1wGkE53 and test. ***Very Important - Uncheck at step number 3***

AntonioC_VZW Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
bmcmanigal

I'm having the same problem and I'm really scared to do a factory reset, but I wonder if it would fix the other issues I'm having that showed up after the update?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

bmcmanigal, I want to makes sure that your device is working the correct way since the update. One thing that I would recommend on trying before you do a Factory Reset is to place the device into Safe Mode: http://vz.to/1CUUaVY This will block all 3rd party applications for the time being. Once you take the phone out of safe mode you will need to re-enter in your wi-fi information again.  I want to see if you are able to get your message alerts while in safe mode. Please keep us posted.

KevinR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
bmcmanigal

I don't think it is fair that this is the solution being given to every one having this pRobles after the most recent update. I have not installed any new apps since the update nor do I want to lose any of my information or pictures on my phone by doing a factory reset. I have not read of a factory reset solving this problem for a single individual. I'm still going to want all the apps I currently have on my phone and everything was working just fine before the update. It is beginning to make me think this is a gimmick by Samsung to either force us to complete factory resets and erase data or eliminate particular apps. Their needs to be another solution to the problem. It's not just me alerts, it's also my contacts. And I have been having voice mail and non ringing call problems ever since I purchased the phone. This is just a new frustration. If I do the factory reset dobi lose the most recent Samsung updates or does it just wipe out my apps. This is quite unfair to us

0 Likes
bmcmanigal

I completed the safe mode test and my alert sounds still do not work in the text window, so it is not related to a third party app.

0 Likes
bmcmanigal

The update must have directly affected the Samsung messaging app itself. I was so frustrated I decided to download a different messaging app and see if the alerts work in there. I downloaded the Verizon Messaging app as I didn't want a third party app and the reviews were fairly good. The alerts work in the Verizon app. I do not work for Verizon but I have to say I like the app so far, a lot of nice add-ons. I have not tested it with my car's bluetooth radio, that will be the big test. I like to have my messages read out to me and if it doesn't work I will have to switch apps every time I get in the car. Nice thing was the app transferred all my messages over.

So, bottom line. Apparently, it is a Samsung related issue from the update that only affects the Samsung texting app. The safe mode test proved it wasn't third party app related. Samsung needs to fix the problem if they want us to go back to using the app. Now if my contact issues would only fix.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry to see this is the way you feelbmcmanigal. That's not our intention at all. However, we are not in control of the software development. I certainly apologize for the inconveniences. I assure you, once concerns are reported, manufacturers work with sofware developers to ensure these issues are addressed.

The factory reset is to rule out third party content, this is not limited to apps, but any other media downloaded to phone. You can definitely backup your contacts and files using http://vz.to/MOFhML . Once you restore, do not re-download anything else but your contacts. In addition, though not considered fair by you, it's important to point out not all apps may be compatible with update. The developer needs to keep the app up to date to ensure it's compatible with the new software. If it's not, it can malfunction. Let us know how the device works after the restore, and using as new.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
taxguyla

B McManigal - Thanks for the tip on the Verizon Messaging app.  I'm not sure I like it quite as much as the Samsung default app, but at least my text reply notifications work now.  Still, its not a bad little app and so far I am pretty happy with it.  I tried two other apps before I read your tip (Chomps and something else) but it was basically the same problem although the Chomps one would vibrate, but the sound still didn't work.  I'll stick with the Verizon app until something else better comes along.  Like you, I really didn't want to go the Factory Reset route!  Thanks again, Joe

0 Likes