Mobile Data is Staying on with Wifi Connected ! After Update Received Today 9/9/14 I Feel like this is a bug . not again verizon...
govaflow
Enthusiast - Level 3

Mobile Data is Staying on with Wifi Connected ! After Update Received Today 9/9/14 I Feel like this is a bug . not again Verizon...

Screenshot_2014-09-09-16-53-18.png

0 Likes
Re: Mobile Data is Staying on with Wifi Connected ! After Update Received Today 9/9/14 I Feel like this is a bug . not again verizon...
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your screenshot shows wi-fi on, mobile data off.  When mobile data is on and data is being transferred, the arrows under the 4GLTE icon are white.

Edited to add:  I just noticed your 4GLTE icon is white rather than grayed ... .   Looks like you may be on to something ...

Re: Mobile Data is Staying on with Wifi Connected ! After Update Received Today 9/9/14 I Feel like this is a bug . not again verizon...
govaflow
Enthusiast - Level 3

Lol thats what i mean and usually when you connect to wifi mobile state becomes inactive and it goes gray and the arrows dissappear and this started happening after the update and it scares me because it might use my battery you know 😕

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried power cycling your phone?  What happens when you turn off mobile data, does it indeed turn off?

0 Likes
govaflow
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes when i turn it off it goes gray but back then it didnt work like that o.O

0 Likes
radar320
Contributor - Level 2

I noticed the same thing.  I have been watching though when I am on wifi, even though it is says that the mobile network is still connected, when I do anything with the phone, only the arrows under the wifi symbol are active and looking at my data usage, there is very little on the mobile data side.  It is mostly on the wifi side of things.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

FWIW, this I think would be consistent with how my G2 works. Both symbols are in the status bar, but traffic is flowing over WiFi when I'm connected to it, as opposed to over the 4G or 3G connection.

People should be able to go into Settings | Mobile Data, select Menu, and check "Show Wi-Fi usage". Then when they go into Mobile Data, they should see two tabs (Mobile and Wi-Fi). Selecting the tab of their choice, they should be able to scroll down and see the consumption of processes against that communication channel (mobile or wi-fi) for the period selected by the vertical bars. (At least this is how it works on my LG G2 running KK).

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

To me, it's not an issue of both symbols being in the status bar ... they've been that way.  Whichever connection was active would be white, and the other would be gray, and the arrows were white as data was being transmitted.  When both wi-fi and mobile data were turned on, the mobile data icon was grayed out, letting you know at a glance that you weren't on mobile data.  What the OP is experiencing (and I've seen reported elsewhere as well) is that with the latest update, now when both are turned on, both icons are white, meaning that you have to either look at data usage or watch for the arrows to see which connection is active.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Yes, I'm confused honestly, as I thought this was typical Android behavior / interface design across makes/models. I guess I was mistaken.

Both of these two radios (WiFi and 4G, there is BT and NFC as well) show white when connected, and you have to look underneath each of these two symbols for up/down arrow illumination to determine if a channel/path is active. There are times when both channels are active on my phone.

When I am not connected to a WiFi access point, I do not have a WiFi icon in the status bar.

When WiFi is active, data should be flowing over the WiFi link, unless it's specially targeted to flow over the cellular link.

0 Likes
nkuhlenbeck

I see that I'm not the only one having this issue since the latest update on 9/9/2014. I had the issue before and found out it was the Caller Name ID app pre installed by verizon. I turned it off and solved the problem. But not it's something else. The only thing that might be the root cause is the VoLTE, which I don't think has offically launched yet nationwide for Verizon customers. Which I hope there is a way to turn that off when it does come out because it will go againest your data package.

0 Likes