Note 5 Battery optimization update
kopar

Verizon  skipped a battery optimization update(plus other performance improvements)  for the Note 5 that other carriers released in November .  Anybody know why Verizon didn't release it ? I'm not talking about the December security patch update that was just released.

0 Likes
Re: Note 5 Battery optimization update
danwatson

Hopefully it is because they are also introducing wifi calling which is already enabled on the older GS6. This would potentially be a big battery saver because the Note 5 only has 1 radio for both CDMA and LTE unlike the older phones that had 2. With 2 radios, the phone would turn off LTE for data when connected to wifi to save battery and use the lower power CDMA radio for calls/texts. With the Note 5, it has to keep the 1 high power radio active for calls/texts while connected to wifi because both CDMA and LTE are on the same radio. For this reason, you will not notice huge battery savings when on wifi.

Potentially, wifi calling will allow them to shut off the 1 high power radio and let wifi handle data/calls/texts which would save battery when on wifi. Hopefully this is true because the battery consumption on wifi is horrible compared to my old Note 3. Also, sometimes I get absolutely no signal on my Note 5 whatsoever when indoors or with the phone in my pocket and my older Note 3 and it drops calls like crazy with VO LTE enabled since I have a weak LTE signal in my area. I had to turn this feature off so now I have no data access while on calls. This phone does not do well on Verizon as of now...Makes me want to switch phones or carriers but since they won't let me switch the phone, if this doesn't improve, I have to switch carriers.

0 Likes