Pop up ads - after Oreo update, or apps?
JADETRES

I received the Oreo update this morning on my Samsung Galaxy S7.  Afterwards, I also updated some of my existing applications via Play Store (no new applications were downloaded, just updated.)  Since this morning I now receive pop up ads on my phone about every 3-5 minutes. I have updated the app notifications and even went into Chrome settings and disabled pop-ups.  I can't seem to figure out where or what app is causing the ads, but it's exhausting and frustrating.  Any one else seeing a problem after the update, or perhaps with a particular app?  (FYI - It's not Facebook - I haven't updated that.)

0 Likes
Re: Pop up ads - after Oreo update, or apps?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JADETRES,

Congrats on getting the latest software installed on your Galaxy S7, it's always good to have your device on the newest software version. Regarding the ads popping up on your device, I'm confident we can get to the bottom of it, since it's never fun to have popups when you're trying to use your phone. We don't want this to be exhausting or frustrating any longer.

Although you may not have gotten any new applications, the newest software, along with the new updates for the apps may grant new accessibility on the device, which can cause these silly popups.

What are you in the midst of doing when the ads pop up? Do you notice it happening with certain applications over the others? Also, tell me more about the process you took to update the application notifications, as I don't want to assume the path you took to modify the settings. 

RyanCo_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ANDJEN8
Enthusiast - Level 1

I can't answer for the OP, but I get the pop ups ads when my phone is sitting idle, and all the apps are closed.

The applications updated as part of the upgrade process, and I had no choice but to let it run.

gddeals
Enthusiast - Level 3

disable the verizon crapware system app called "Mobile services manager".

it is the DTignite app renamed, verizon thought we wouldn't notice.

it installs apps without your permission.

ANDJEN8
Enthusiast - Level 1

Didn't work. Still getting pop ups.

Allanslacker
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had the same problem. I i disabled the app mobile service manager that did not help either. Then i noticed a solitaire app on my phone it started with a k that popped up after the download. I deleted it and hve not had a pop up.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to have the best experience on your phone, ANDJEN8. I can understand how frustrating these pop-ups can be. Let's see what's going on. When did these pop-ups start? Did you also just upgrade your software? Is anything else acting up on your phone?

Joel_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
gddeals
Enthusiast - Level 3

because mobile services manager already downloaded the apps to your phone. you need to disable it and then remove the apps it installed to stop the popups.

if you dont disable mobile services manager it will keep downloading apps in the background and popups will come back.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ANDJEN8, pop up ads are certainly a pain we don't want you to have. I am confident that we can stop the pop-up ads you're getting on your phone. What are the ads you're receiving offering you? Have you tried disabling Google ads? Settings>Google. Tap on Opt out of Ads Personalization to turn them off (White). Please let us know if the pop-up ads stop after you turn the Opt out of Ads Personalization setting off. -Jacob_VZW

0 Likes
ALLFLO34
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi! Thanks for getting back to me. The pop-up ads started right after I

downloaded the latest upgrade, which would have been Oreo. They seem to pop

up mostly when I use the Messages texting app, though sometimes they do pop

up when I open another random app. I haven't upgraded any apps or added

anything new since I downloaded Oreo.

Hope that helps!

Thanks!

Allyson

Allyson [removed]

Personal information removed as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service