Replacement Galaxy Note 4 is not charging properly; dies quickly
JodyEldred
Enthusiast - Level 1

The screen on my original Galaxy Note 4 broke and insurance provided a new phone. Even before the Marshmallow update this new phone would not hold a charge very long, and while plugged into my car charger using Waze or just making calls the phone would discharge faster than it was charging. Previous phone was fine. I used the battery from the previous phone and there is no difference. I am lucky to get 6-7 hours normal use (with Waze off.) Battery drains super fast and is very slow to recharge-- two hours in a wall charger might add only 20%.

There is nothing else different in the way I am using it from the previous phone except I have turned the screen brightness way and often turn off GPS and WiFi down to try to preserve battery life. Seems to have little effect.

A colleague has the exact same problem. What is a real-world solution? Apparently there is a serious problem with the phone itself. I need this for work and have to do something ASAP.

0 Likes
Re: Replacement Galaxy Note 4 is not charging properly; dies quickly
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JodyEldred,

I’m not fan of battery life issues either. I want to be sure your phone has a long lasting battery. I can help fix this for you. Are you using the original charger when charging your device? Has there been any damage to the charger?

JuanD_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JodyEldred
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have used the original charger, aftermarket chargers, car chargers, different batteries... you-name-it. Exact same results. My first phone was fine; it's the replacement that has been problematic. A colleague who works in the professional electronics (broadcast TV) has the same phone and believes there is a problem with the charging circuitry.

I recently installed Battery Doctor and Save Power apps which constantly report that the phone battery is draining quickly with 100+ apps draining it (even when every app has been turned off.) I have to use the cumbersome app to optimize all day long or it drains in 6-7 hours, much less if using Waze or actually talking on the phone!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

IT is most likely an end of life battery.  Batteries are not replaced on replacement devices so you probably got one with a bad battery. 

0 Likes
JodyEldred
Enthusiast - Level 1

Except that the previous battery I had which worked perfectly is acting the exact same way in this phone...

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Got it, sorry I didn't read closer. Then yes, it certainly sounds like the replacement phone. Very unlikely an easy fix at this point and work toward getting a replacement for the replacement. No fun.

0 Likes
JodyEldred
Enthusiast - Level 1

Any solution here? It's pretty apparent I have a defective phone, that the replacement sent to me was not operating properly. How will Verizon make this right?

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

You need to go back to the store that started the replacement process or call customer service if that is who did the replacement process before. Like I said, this is no fun for you.

0 Likes
JodyEldred
Enthusiast - Level 1

It was a call to the Verizon insurance company... handled it all that way. Not sure they're exchange a phone that "isn't charging properly"... insurance covers breakage and warranty... this is probably out of its short warranty.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JodyEldred

I would be concerned too if my phone were behaving like this. Whenever you get a replacement phone through your Asurion insurance, they provide a 1 year warranty. All you need to do is contact them directly at 888-881-2622. I reviewed your previous posts and I am alarmed by the fact our phone is stating over 100 apps are draining the battery. In a lot of circumstances, the software on the phone could be the culprit for the concerns you are having. To ensure that the device is physically OK, we would like you to back up your information and perform a factory reset. When the phone is powered back on, please do not restore your information. Instead, please try using the device for 24 hours and report back the battery life. If you experience an increase in battery life, then we know the problem was with the installed applications.

Here is a link on how to back up your phone: http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/verizon-cloud-faqs/

Here is a link on how to factory reset your phone: http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-121760/

ChristopherM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes