S10e screen repair
joelashley
Enthusiast - Level 2

My wife's S10e screen is bowed along the right side.  It appears the glue is failing.  The phone still works fine.  When I went to file a claim for our Verizon Protect, it wanted to replace the phone and charge us $230 deductible.  Over the 2 years we've had our 2 identical phones, we've paid out over $900 in premiums.   For a cracked screen there is only a $29 deductible/fee.  

1) Is there a way for me to reset the glue on the screen, and

2) shouldn't this qualify under the "cracked screen" category, even thought the screen isn't actually damaged?

When they replace a cracked screen, one has to assume they either replace the glue strip or loosen and then reset it, which is the most that would need to be done here, and with no new screen involved.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: S10e screen repair
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

My apologies your questions were not answered. No, the glue can not be reset. Yes we would recommend filing it as a damaged screen, so you would file it under cracked screen. *Taylor

View solution in original post

mama23dogs
Legend

Doesn’t the deductible decline?  And likely they won’t have the same model, so your wife may get a newer replacement.  

This is why I don’t use insurance.  If you have banked that money every month instead, you would be able to buy your wife a new phone.  

0 Likes
Doggo
Contributor - Level 3

Verizon's top tier insurance is 17 a month. 17 x 2 over 2 years is $816. Dunno where this "over 900" is coming from. Regardless, 800 - 900 is a brand new phone vs paying Asurion for a refurb. 

Covid probably isn't helping with part availability. Even if we overlook a pandemic, parts for phone eventually stop being produced. If there is no spare part, you get charged for a full replacement.

mama23dogs
Legend

@Doggo wrote:

Verizon's top tier insurance is 17 a month. 17 x 2 over 2 years is $816. Dunno where this "over 900" is coming from. Regardless, 800 - 900 is a brand new phone vs paying Asurion for a refurb. 

Covid probably isn't helping with part availability. Even if we overlook a pandemic, parts for phone eventually stop being produced. If there is no spare part, you get charged for a full replacement.

2 lines?

and the S 10 E came out in the spring, which means it’s been 2 1/2 years since it was first sold. Easily could put the tab well over $900.   
In my opinion, insurance is a bad “investment” at these rates.  

0 Likes
Doggo
Contributor - Level 3

@mama23dogs wrote:

@Doggo wrote:

2 lines?

and the S 10 E came out in the spring, which means it’s been 2 1/2 years since it was first sold. Easily could put the tab well over $900.   
In my opinion, insurance is a bad “investment” at these rates.  

OP didn't specify the name of the insurance and all I got out of the post was 2 lines mentioned "Over the 2 years we've had our 2 identical phones, we've paid out over $900 in premiums".

I based it off Verizon Protect being $17. Two lines would have been $34 per month. Times that by 24 months and we get $816 spent on insurance on two lines over 2 years going by Verizon Protect cost. TMP would have cost less and it wouldn't make sense to do a multi line insurance for only 2. But that would be 2 years exactly and it's not mentioned if the models were purchased at launch or later..plus I was tired lol. Either way, an out of pocket screen repair would def be way cheaper than spending an entire brand new premium phone worth of insurance payments.

0 Likes
joelashley
Enthusiast - Level 2

You know, most of us don’t post to the Community expecting to be chastised for ball-parking a cost estimate and numbers picked apart, repeatedly.  To satisfy such potential critique I perhaps should have been precise and said “over two years”, or noted it as the 28 months it was. And look again… I did say it was Verizon Protect insurance.  Yes, your figuring may be correct for the info you were given and our actual premiums outlay for the one phone in question is around $476.  Your opinion on insurance has been well and repeatedly documented here.  

That aside, my questions have not been addressed by someone who might have tech experience with that phone.  This may not have been the Forum to ask.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Repairing your device is made simple through our website: https://www.verizon.com/solutions-and-services/verizon-mobile-protect/, joelashley. Please follow the prompts to see if your device screen is eligible for repair. If it is not eligible for repair, there is an option to replace it. You can also contact Asurion directly at 888-881-2622 for more information about filing a claim, eligibility, and pricing. 

*Cheyenne

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

My apologies your questions were not answered. No, the glue can not be reset. Yes we would recommend filing it as a damaged screen, so you would file it under cracked screen. *Taylor