p826wn

Hi, for many years now, I have had wifi networks named Shelby or Shelby1 that are always in my wifi list no matter where I am. I was sort of hoping with a new phone, the network wouldn't be there anymore, but it is. They literally follow me, which makes me think it's coming from my phone somehow. It seems harmless, as I can just turn wifi off. I can't connect to them. I have done exhaustive searching and no one else seems to have this problem. I just want to know what they are. Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: S21
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

They are likely being restored from your Google account. Have you tried to forget those Wi-Fi networks if they are listed as remembered networks? 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
p826wn

Thanks. They're always listed under available networks. Not sure how to remember or forget them. There aren't any under "saved."

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@p826wn wrote:

Thanks. They're always listed under available networks. Not sure how to remember or forget them. There aren't any under "saved."

Available networks would only list networks that are within range of your phone. Either another device you own is broadcasting those networks or one of your neighbors are. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
p826wn

I have no idea what would be broadcasting them. This has been going on at least 5 years and throughout many new phones. No matter where I am, they're in the available list. At home, at work, at the store, etc. I feel pretty certain that my phone is broadcasting them somehow 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Most phones won't continuously broadcast its mobile hotspot Wi-Fi network. It is a battery killer, plus the phone shouldn't be able to see its own network. Also the default hotspot network name changes from phone to phone.

0 Likes
p826wn

Yea, that's why I'm here. The network follows me everywhere I go, so it can't really be another device. I always have mobile hotspot turned off too

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

To clarify, are you connected to this Wi-Fi network?*Estevan

0 Likes
p826wn

No it's passworded

0 Likes
p826wn