S6 Notification Sound problems (anyone else having them?), and other ?s
Chris_Schaff
Enthusiast - Level 1

First off, I love my new S6 and remain very happy as I get to know the ins and outs.  However, I have come up with a few problems and I'm hoping others may know the answers (I cannot find anything online).

1. The biggest problem is that the different notifications for my contacts are not working.  The sounds are on the phone and are selected from the list of possible sounds.  However, whenever anyone with a contact-specific ringtone or message notification contacts me, all I get is the default ring/sound.  Any thoughts on how to fix this? 

2. This phone uses the same green LED for everything.  Is there a way to change this?  My old galaxy (S3) used a blue LED for phone calls/messages/texts, a green LED for Facebook notifications/messages, etc. 

3. Is there a setting to scroll through app screens (or the front screens) in a loop?  It's a petty complaint for certain, but I do miss the convenience of getting from Amazon to Zedge with one page turn vs having to flip through the entire alphabet.

4. On Day 2 my lock screen decided to stay unlocked (meaning-it only required the default swipe).  All of the settings indicated it was set for "pattern" but it didn't ever need the pattern.  Restarting the phone put the pattern back in place, but only for a couple of times, then it went back to the default swipe.  I tried this twice.  I turned off the phone and left it off for 20 minutes, and haven't had a problem since, but I am adding it to this list of questions because a coworker is still experiencing this problem (powering off did not fix his problem).

Re: S6 Notification Sound problems (anyone else having them?), and other ?s
CaptQuay
Enthusiast - Level 1

I, too, am having difficult is with my Galaxy S6 contact specific message tone as well as vibration pattern. I have multiple LED colors for different items. I use the fingerprint for security and no issues there. Sure hope Verizon comes out with an answer soon. Don't like the Samsung message app, but may be forced to use it, so I can signify different vibrations/tones.

0 Likes
Nycommon

I too had all the alerts turned on, sound selected for messages and nothing.

What worked for me was going to settings... applications.. messages... for some reason it was set to "block". I disabled it and the sound is back on my messages.

0 Likes
LA_Dizz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

I am on an S6 Edge and have the same issue with the message notifications not working for individual contacts.  Are you using the VZ Message+ app for texts, by chance?  Because if you are, a VZ rep told me on a thread I started (about this very issue) that custom notifications are NOT supported by the Message+ app.  So, I have started using the stock Samsung app.  Not totally happy with it, so I might switch to Chomp SMS - a 3rd party text app I used to use on my S4.

As for LED light notifications, the S6 uses a default color for all apps, but individual apps can override the default and will use a different color.  You have to set up the color on the app setting - not through the phone setting.  For example, on my phone, the FB app notification is blue, on work email it is indigo, and on FB Messenger it is green.  It is red when the phone is charging. If you want more color options, you can use a 3rd party app - I've heard good things about LightFlow.

As for your points 3 and 4, I'm sorry I don't have any input for you.  Good luck.

0 Likes
Siege8190

After playing around in messages + I have finally figured out how to get custom text tones for specific contacts

The text tone you have set for specific contacts through your contact list does not work.. however in the messages+ app if you have a conversation going on with a specific contact you want to have a different tone than you can edit the tone for specific conversations

This can be done by clicking on the top left menu button and all the way on the bottom of the list is "tones" by changing this you will set a specific tone for that conversation with whichever contact you choose

This feature can also work with group chats.. therefore one specific text tone can be heard for an entire group conversation, or for some people you can set the group conversation tone to silent but still have your tones work for everyone else who texts you separately

Really hope this helps!

0 Likes