S7 Problems after Oreo update.
chip6990
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have greatly enjoyed my S7 since i purchased it new in '16. I even converted my wife to a S8 (LG prior) and my daughter to a S7 (iPhone). We also loaded our house down with other Samsung gear, 65' Flatscreen TV, Gear S3, Icon X (2018) Gear S2, Gear Fit Pro and Galaxy Tab S3.  Since the Oroe update on the (2) S7's the problems are overbearing!. We used to enjoy heckling our iPhone friends when they found out that Apple pushed updates to reduce phone life and performance all in the name to force customers to upgrade to the newest latest and greatest. Now it would seem that Samsung is doing the exact same thing now. S9 sales are down, Note 9 has a much larger battery and new features so how can we get people to upgrade? Follow Apple? I do hope I'm wrong, but the evidence points in that direction.

I updated to Oreo on June 24, 2018 and the latest update on August 2, 2018.

Model # SM-G930V

Andriod Version 8.0.0

Samsung Experience 9.0

Problems I am having

- Battery life is awful! I can not make it through an 8 hour day at work w/o recharging. I went 1 week trying a test. I unplugged every day at 7am and didn't touch it at all for 1 hour, battery dropped from 100% to 82%, another hourwas down to 69%, another hour 53% and by 12pm it was down to 19%. For 1 week I didn't turn the screen on or use the phone at all from 7am to 12pm. Each day the results were almost identical.

- Phone will no longer fast charge wirelessly or wired using all Samsung plugs

- Phone will get extremely hot while charging and shut down or unresponsive to other actions

- Phone is extremely slow when moving between apps 8-10 seconds just to open the camera

- When a call comes in, screen stays black and will not allow me to answer

- When texting, the response time to be able to reply is 10+ seconds before anything opens

-Connectivity between the Gear S3 watch and ICON X earbuds have also been affected. Drops bluetooth music, phone calls and slow response on watch.

- Just got an update for the S3 watch a couple weeks ago, now batter life on it wont last 8 hours. Normally I could unplug at 6am and still have 30% by 10pm. Now it dies before I make it home at 4pm.

I have not downloaded any apps since Oreo update so nothing new there. But if i use my phone consistently like I have for the last 2 years before Oreo, It won't last longer than 5 hours between charges, and once I try to charge it, it takes 4+ hours and once it gets hot, it will shut off and be of no use.

I have rebooted, performed a Soft Reset, tried in Safe Mode, cleared Cache Partition, checked all background apps were force stopped, checked every box to conserve battery, all with little to no luck. Nothing has changed from Nougat to Oreo other than the Oreo update, and now I hate this phone!

Majority of battery drain is Android System and Android OS, combined for 38% battery drain over a 3hr period.

Something is not playing well since Oreo and all the Samsung Tech Support will say is Factory Data Reset or device needs replaced. It was fine on June 23, 2018 and horrible ever since. I am almost over Samsung and Verizon.

Re: S7 Problems after Oreo update.
chip6990
Enthusiast - Level 2

No Verizon Tech support or suggestions?

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is primarily a peer-to-peer forum.  Responses by VzW reps aren't guaranteed and when they do respond, it could be a while.

With all the troubleshooting you've done, and as opposed as I am usually to doing a factory data reset, it may be worth trying. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We value your feedback regarding your experience with your S7 since the software update, chips6990. 

After a major software update, it can take the device a little while to stabilize to the new software. You have done quite a bit to already alleviate some of the issues so we recommend running the Software Upgrade Assistant http://spr.ly/6584Dvm3M;

Please let us know how that works for you. 

Tamara_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
chip6990
Enthusiast - Level 2

Link says "Oops, can't find page"

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It actually doesn't find the page. Interesting...

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We apologize for the link not working. Here is a new link that will take you to the upgrade assistant: http://spr.ly/6585DvNhJ; Let us know if this works for you. Thanks. 

Rogelio_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
mbrooke1215
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi Chip, did the upgrade assistant help?

I have/had similar issues after the oreo update. I was so angry because I recently upgraded to S7 from an S5 which I had for several years and finally upgraded because the camera was shot. I debated for months becuase I was tired of being forced to update and problems thereafter. I had the phone a month and enjoyed it a great deal...then the oreo update dropped. I rejected the idea for several days then decided to trust Verizon and Samsung and give it a go. Major disappointment..battery from 100 to 0 in 4 hours, shuts on and off on it's own. What a disaster. Mostly disappointed in Samsung and Verizon's total disregard for the issue, 0 acknowledgement or support to their loyal customers. What I did finally do was update ALL my apps thru Google play, turned off auto update, and made sure I updated about once a week going forward. The battery draining issue tends to be better. Unless I am reading kindle for a hour or two, or heavy data usage, that drains it to where I need to charge after about 5 hours, but I can deal with that.  I personally think oreo and app usage and updating is the problem. Once I have a longer list of apps that needs updating, the phone begins to restart on it's own again. Take a look at that if you haven't already. Good luck

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Sounds like something went wrong with the update for it to be using that much of the battery. I know some people have had problems getting the SUA to work right. If you have smart switch or kies they may work as far as the update. Both of these programs are from Samsung and they do update the phone as well as backing up the phone.

0 Likes