Samsung Note 5 WiFi and Battery Drain Issues After Marshmallow Update (6.0.1)
xstreampros
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ever since I did the recommended Marshmallow update, 6.0.1, I cannot connect to any WiFi at any location. I even switched routers to determine if that was causing the problem. I have embedded a side by side comparison of a speed test between my Note 5 and Note 3. Technical details of setup are at the end of this post. Also I noticed a significant battery drain after the update. I did the update I believe this past Sunday, March 6.

Technical Specs of Network:

• Equipment:
    • Cisco WRVS4400N (latest firmware)
    • Cisco RV180W (latest firmware)
  • Internet Speeds:
    • Hardwired: 200+ Mbps download / 30+ Mbps Upload
    • WirelessIMG_20160311_074559.jpg

Although I have unlimited data with WiFi in these locations I need to be able to maximize my speeds. Please advise on fix. I have tried to reboot phone, start in safe mode and throwing the Note 5 against the wall (haha, just kidding)

Re: Samsung Note 5 WiFi and Battery Drain Issues After Marshmallow Update (6.0.1)
dca1907
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am also having battery drain issues. Didn't even last 7 hours of idle time when fully charged!

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Note 5 WiFi and Battery Drain Issues After Marshmallow Update (6.0.1)
Shokk
Enthusiast - Level 1

Turn Bluetooth off and wifi will work again. I am having the same problem.

xstreampros
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you. That is a viable workaround. A problem associated with me and I'm sure others is I use a Fitbit and stream music to Bluetooth headphones. Fitbit uses Bluetooth to sync.

Another problem I found is that when the phone is on mute all alerts come through as if it is on normal sound. As always I've tried a reboot and safe mode.

Verizon and Samsung - ARE YOU WORKING ON THIS? I've been a loyal Verizon and Samsung client for years and have a corporate account. Don't change my mind.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

who's you're internet provider??

fwiw:

my battery usage has been about 50% better after 6.0.1, doze works well.

0 Likes
xstreampros
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have Time Warner Cable. Hardwired speeds are 230+ Mbps down and 30+ Mbps up. As mentioned in an above reply I turned BT off and got 14 Mbps down and 23 Mbps up. My Note 3 performs 100x better.

I am running the latest Arris Motorola Modem SB 6183 I think Docsis 3.0, Cisco gigabit wireless router and all lines are over Cat 6.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

my cheapie $30 netgear router/150 max with cox.....usually i'll peg the meter earlier in the day.Cox Speedtest 03122016.jpg

0 Likes
Bogger44fl
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the same problem since the update. But only on networks on 2.4ghz. If I connect to my 5ghz network it works great. Very frustrating while on the go. Hopefully an update will fix this.

alngater73
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having major battery drain issues since the update on my Note 5. I am hearing Samsung is working on an update to help fix both wi-fi and battery issue. One other issue I ran into is the power saving mode, its almost useless to yse the immediate function as it will not allow anything to sync. I need certain things to sync regardless and others not so much. They need to create a place where you can set exceptions.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

that's what power saving is all about, use as is but you don't get any options.

bogger44fl:

i don't do wi-fi unless it's encrypted, never public wi-fi.

0 Likes