Re: Samsung S9 Video Calling
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate you taking the time to help out our fellow community members, sprmankalel.

WEW2, I know how important it is to make sure all the features on your phone are working properly. Not all features are guaranteed to work with an unlock device. Have you added the free HD Calling and Video Calling features to your line? You can do so online via My Verizon. Under My Plans & Services select Manage Products & Apps > under Get Products select Free Products > Get it Now (next to HD Voice and Video Calling).

On your phone, what do you see when you try enabling Video Calling http://vz.to/2pytp7W

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
grknox007
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi JohnB_VZW,

I have a Galaxy s9 UNLOCKED which I purchased from Samsung.  I transfered my existing SIM from my Galaxy s7 to the new phone as the instructions indicated.  The phone number and connection to the Verizon network transferred correctly, however; many of the features such as WiFi Calling and Video Calling are not an option.  If I'm correct, this is because Verizon has those specifically for the phones they sell - and not for the Samsung sold phones.

What I can also state is that the Verizon network handshake has identified my phone as 'non-Verizon branded' and the call quality, data speed and call delivery is sub-par.  I spoke to Samsung about this and they confirmed that other Verizon customers have reported the same conditions.  They also stated that the only way to resolve these hampering issues - as far as they have been able to verify - is to swap carried.  They suggested that both T-Mobile and Sprint have full access to all the carrier benefits on the unlocked versions of the Galaxy s9.

For those of us who did not want to pay the extra money just to purchase the same phone from Verizon, what information or action can you provide on how to still receive the services we're paying extra for - such as WiFi, HD and Video calling?

Thanks!

GRKNOX

boringusername
Master - Level 1

grknox007 wrote:

For those of us who did not want to pay the extra money just to purchase the same phone from Verizon, what information or action can you provide on how to still receive the services we're paying extra for - such as WiFi, HD and Video calling?

Thanks!

GRKNOX

yes buy a Verizon branded phone if you want to use the Verizon network. This has been known for some time that only Verizon braded phones allow wi-fi and video calling but if you didn't know then you know now. And you are  not paying extra for wi-fi and video calling. Verizon does not charge extra for those.

1313kristi
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have unlocked s9 with no video call option, and unlocked s9+ with video call option on Verizon, makes no sense

0 Likes
gtcarlson

I tried to follow the directions below, but under free products there is no "HD Voice and Video Calling" to select. On the My Verizon screen the two Samsung Galaxy s9 phones on my account say they have the free HD Voice service. I can't find a way to enable the HD Voice that is listed as on the phones.

They were both unlocked devices. I was trying to get and make the Video Calling feature work on these phones. 

Under My Plans & Services select Manage Products & Apps > under Get Products select Free Products > Get it Now (next to HD Voice and Video Calling).

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are very sorry to hear about the concern that has come up with not being able to enable Advanced Calling on your Samsung Galaxy S9 devices, gtcarlson. We will be more than happy to go through some steps to make sure that you can enable this feature in the end. Below is a link you can click on to view the steps on how to activate HD Voice on your devices. Please let us know what happens when you follow these steps? Thank you. http://spr.ly/66031DaFV BrettA_VZW

0 Likes
Tambrogdon
Enthusiast - Level 1

Not true.

I have an unlocked S9+ purchased from Samsung and wifi calling works.