Samsung phones having GPS issues
jmz768
Enthusiast - Level 2

For the past few weeks, I've been having issues on my Galaxy Note 8 with my GPS losing connecting on Google Maps, Waze and Pokemon Go.  Asking on Reddit, others are having the same issue.  To a tee, every person complaining is a Verizon customer.  

This evening I went to the Galaxy S20 subreddit and saw that people were reporting the same issue.  When I asked, the two people who responded are also on Verizon.  

At this point, it is clear that whatever is going on is being caused by Verizon and appears to only be affecting Samsung phones.  I spoke with tech support on Friday and they said that they have noting on their radar about GPS issues.  

Is anyone else having issues with their GPS losing connection? 

Labels (1)
Re: Samsung phones having GPS issues
ctpalmer
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just started using my Galaxy S20 Ultra yesterday and noticed that my GPS accuracy is intermittent no matter what apps or settings I use.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, jmz768. The GPS feature is important, and we want to make sure it is working as it should on your device. To clarify, what steps have you taken to try to resolve this issue? CourtneyM_VZW

0 Likes
ctpalmer
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have tried everything including resetting my S20 Ultra multiple times.  The GPS isn't accurate even on 3 hiking apps that I use:  US Toyota Maps, Backcountry Navigator, and Gaia GPS.

jmz768
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've tried everything including a factory reset of my phone.  I finally got tired of it and called Verizon for a replacement which arrived yesterday.  The replacement phone is having the exact same issue.

There are many people complaining of the same issue.  All seem to be with Samsung phones on the Verizon network.  As best as I can guess, this all started with the most recent security update we received a few weeks ago.  

ctpalmer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks jmz768 for letting me know about your replacement experience.   I was going to do that tomorrow but I guess I'll just return the phone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ctpalmer, this is certainly not the way we want a new phone to perform. When you stated you reset the phone what steps did you take to do that?

TionnaB_VZW

0 Likes
ctpalmer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Settings-General Management-Reset-Factory Data Reset

I have already been through this with a tech and I'm very familiar with how to use a cell phone whether it's Android based or iOS based.  I promise I've done everything an end user can do including using GPS Status Pro to reset the GPS.

What needs to happen is, when an S20 Ultra is returned from a customer and received by Verizon, Verizon techs can observe for themselves what happens and maybe figure out if it is a software or hardware issue.

If it is a software issue that can be solved by an OTA update I would keep my phone.  If it is a hardware issue then I have no choice but to return the phone anyway.  I only have a few more days until my 14 day trial period expires. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jmz768, we don't want you to have to return the phone or get another replacement here. We do offer an option to run a Software Repair to correct this issue. 

Please use the link attached for how to run the Software Repair Assistant via a computer. http://spr.ly/66051SSEV

Keep us posted on any changes.

AlanS_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ctpalmer, we want to make sure that you have a working phone. Please tell us more, what exactly is going on? When did these issues begin?

LauraF_VZW

0 Likes