Security Update 2017-08-01 Issues
joel_billinger
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am struggling with setting up my new (well new to me) s5. I seem to have it up and running alright, but it is currently on the July 2017 security patch and I have a prompt to update to the August 2017 patch, which I believe is the last one made available for the phone. I have tried installing the update and it goes through no apparent issues. The phone does not notify me that the update has failed, but when I check phone info it still shows the July 2017 security patch and sure enough the prompt to update to the August 2017 patch comes right back up. I have installed the patch some 4 or 5 times. I have also tried the verizon software upgrade assistant. I tried the upgrade assistant once. I started it up and let it go to watch some tv. When I came back a pop-up notified me that connection had been lost and the upgrade assistant stopped responding. Meanwhile my phone had frozen on the download screen. I pulled the phone battery and put it back in, and there seems to be no damage done, but still back to square one. I have no idea what is wrong or what I should try next. Help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a computer guy! Not a phone guy! I have no idea what is going on.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Security Update 2017-08-01 Issues
joel_billinger
Enthusiast - Level 2

Alright, time for a sit rep.

TLDR: I was typing the response while waiting on step 4 (another attempt at an update) and it seems like that step worked for some reason. Details below.

With regards to other issues:

There should actually be a step zero, where I checked the phone storage. I didn't write it down, but I think it was something like 6 gb out of 16 gb available. With apps and system files taking up most of that 10. Just checked after step 4, this information was correct.

I have also not tried a full factory reset yet. I can do that if it seems like a good option. I'm not sure if that is what you meant by restart the phone or not. Part of the clearing the cache process which I have done twice now involves reboots, so I assume that would cover a standard phone reset if that's what you mean.

Solution step-by-step:

1) Followed Kathy's instructions to clear the cache. Then tried the update again. It was already downloaded so the phone needed only to install. This was done very quickly. The phone produced new and interesting results. Now instead of telling me the update succeeded, it has told me that the update failed.

2) Given this new development I tried using smart switch from my computer again to apply the update. Again no dice, same problem, freezes at 0%. Battery pulled.

3) Immediately after step 2 I did another cache clear and rebooted the phone. The phone no longer immediately downloads a new update again, but just shows the previous failed install. I followed Joseph's steps to look for the update manually and found the following info:

failed to update to G900VVRU2DQL1, code 404

3/20: updated to G900VVRU2DQH2

3/21: updated to G900VVRU2DQI2

(note these dates are after I created the topic, does this mean I was slowly laddering my way up the update chain and I just had to keep going? I do not know what this means.)

4) After getting the info from step 3, I used the manual install option to try to apply the update once more. And that seems to have worked! Phone shows update applied successfully. When I manually check updates, it just shows the successful install of G900VVRU2DQL1. Checking for new updates shows the phone is up to date!

View solution in original post

bearone21
Legend

if you're updating thru the verizon network, you might be timing out & not completing the update, try wi-fi!!

0 Likes
joel_billinger
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the input. I gave it a shot again today making sure I was connected to my in-home wifi. No dice. I don't think it's a connection problem because when the update is done it gives me an update successful notice, but then it immediately starts downloading the update again and telling me to update. It's not being interrupted, something is preventing the update from executing properly. I could just ignore the notice, but it pops up every time I unlock my phone and is very annoying. I would take an alternative solution of how to just get the update notice to go away!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried the Software Upgrade Assistant? Samsung Galaxy S 5 Software Update | Verizon Wireless

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
joel_billinger
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did try the software upgrade assistant. I could give it another go, but last time it gave me a connection interrupted message (used the usb to micro usb cable to connect phone to computer) then the application stopped responding on my computer, meanwhile my phone froze on the download screen. I had to pull the battery and luckily the phone still turns on fine, but I'm hesitant to try it again.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

is the phone activated or wi-fi only??

i haven't been able to update my old s5 on wi-fi only, beyond 5.0.

some time back, directions were given here how to do it on a non activated phone.

0 Likes
joel_billinger
Enthusiast - Level 2

If by "activated" you mean it has a working sim card and can access 4G networks, make calls, etc, then yes it is an activated phone.

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

I use to love my S5 phone and would have a lot of problems getting it to update. I have used the Verizon software to try and update it but it didn't always work and other people on here have had problems with it too. There is also Kies and smart switch that are for samsung phones. I would try and download them and see if you can get one of them to work like they are supposed to. Both of these programs will update and backup your samsung phones. They can also detect ( sometimes ) problems with the phone that are technical or software issues

Samsung Kies, Free Download Kies 3, Latest PC Suite, Mobile Software, Window 7 PC

Smart Switch | Samsung IN

0 Likes
joel_billinger
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried smart switch and it froze in the same place that the verizon software update assistant froze. It makes it through one progress bar, then the phone goes to the "downloading... do not turn off the target!!" screen, at which point the progress bar freezes at 0% and I eventually have to pull the battery out of my phone.

Starting to think there is a problem with my phone. Should I back it up and try a factory reset?

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

I hate to do the factory reset but at this point I think that is the only way you are going to get this phone working right again. First have you tried to clear the cache partition on the phone?

Don't know if you bought the phone new out of a box or if it was a used one but if it is used

and never had the cache partition cleared on this may help. Try this first then restart the phone and see how it acts. Then try to get the update again either ota or by computer either way once you get the update do the clear cache partition once you do get the update.

Turn the phone off then press and hold volume up-power-home

Then when the phone goes into recovery mode use the volume down button to highlight

clear cache partition then press power then use volume down to say yes press power

again. Then just reboot the phone. This not change any of the settings on the just clears out

a bunch of the old files that maybe conflicting with the new files.

Let me know if this has helped

0 Likes