System Update and VZW Demo App
wmorg
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did a System Update yesterday on my Note 5, and now the VZW Demo App keeps on wanting to activate itself, and download content.

it switches location on, and sets screen brightness to Maximum, and even switches on Mobile Data.

When I uninstall the App, it just installs itself 20 seconds later.

When I restart the phone, the same happens.

I am not sure if this is a Virus, or if it is due to the System Update.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: System Update and VZW Demo App
wmorg
Enthusiast - Level 2

To reply, my issue has been resolved.

Not sure what was done.

Basically a Technical Support Person from Verizon called me, and asked me to do a reset on the phone again,and install Maas360.  They did something on their side/system.

I did that, and it actually resolved the issue.

However, last week, I restarted my phone, and for a quick 1-2 seconds, my phone showed a message, that it is in Store Demo mode.

But then it never downloaded the Demo Mode App, or changed all the settings (Maximum Brightness, Location On).

So the phone still wants to go into demo mode.  But I think either Verizon disabled the download of the Demo Mode App, or changed IP Addresses, or blocked my phone from being able to download it.

Thank you, Verizon, for actually reading these posts, and responding to them, and trying to make it work.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Did you by chance get a display phone when you made the purchase or was this a brand new sealed box purchase?

0 Likes
wmorg
Enthusiast - Level 2

It was a new phone, fresh out the box.

0 Likes
ASG535

Mine is doing the same thing.  Verizon tech support couldn't resolve it.  They were going to do a factory reset of my phone but suggested that I try to go to Best Buy and have a Samsung rep reflash it.  I will do that shortly.

0 Likes
wmorg
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, I think I figured out the faulty app.

I went to Verizon too, in person, and they couldn't figure it out either.

They sent maybe Best Buy sold me a Demo Phone.

I went to a Best Buy, and they said I need to go to the Best Buy where I actually bought it.

So I did.

The Mobile Sales Person was trying to google it, look on forums, try to fix it, and he even was on the Phone with Verizon for an hour.

He couldn't figure it out.

He even asked the Samsung Guy who is in Best Buy, and both of them said, they could Flash it.

But there is a chance it could break the phone.

However, the Samsung Guy didn't have the software on his laptop.

I told them, I will just do ANOTHER Factory Reset, and then install App by App, restarting the phone after every new app.

So I did that.

then I installed an App, and it suddenly did it again.

So I did another Factory Reset (3rd one), and JUST installed the App, and then restarted the phone, and it did it then too (go into Verizon Store Demo Mode).

So the App which is at fault is Maas360 MDM for Samsung.  It is required for me to be able to receive Emails for my work.

So I did a fourth Factory Reset, and for now, it is still working good (No Demo Mode).

So I did it is a combination of the Phone System Update from last week, and the Maas360.  That the Upgrade somehow has the Demo App deep in the update, and Maas360 flips the switch to enable it (on purpose, or faulty software).

Because I had Maas360 for 2 weeks, and it was working fine, and only when the Phone System Update was installed, did it put it into Demo Mode.

So somebody is to blame, but now who?

Samsung?

Verizon?

Google?

Maas360?

0 Likes
wmorg
Enthusiast - Level 2

Let me know if a Reflash actually works.   Do you have Maas360?

0 Likes
ASG535

I do have Maas 360

0 Likes
ASG535

Hsve you tried removing maas 360 and then removing the vzw demo app?

0 Likes
wmorg
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have, and it doesn't work.  The only way to fix it, is a Factory Reset.

The Demo app will always install itself, unless you force stop two processes.

But then restarting the phone, will bring the Demo App back.

0 Likes
AustinBrister

I am having this problem is well.  The only way I can prevent it is to race to "manage apps," and force close both maas360 and VZW Demo App.

0 Likes