Unable to Connect - Authentication Error / Wireless Hotspot
Joe_Bagodonuts
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ok....  This is some straight up JUNK...  About four months ago my wireless hotspot just stopped working on my Galaxy S8+.  I went through all proper channels and did what was asked. 1) replace sim 2) factory reset  3) had Verizon mess with settings on their end....  All of this, to no avail.  They chalked it up as a "hardware issue".  

Fast forward to three days ago, I drop my S8+ and destroy it.  

Yesterday I pick up a brand new S10+ and guess what.......

THE MOBILE HOTSPOT IS NOT WORKING.  I AM GETTING THE EXACT SAME ERROR.

UNABLE TO CONNECT - AUTHENTICATION ERROR 

Please, whatever your suggestions are, DO NOT tell me to factory reset this phone.

IS THERE NO HELP FOR THE WIDOWS SON???!!!???

Labels (1)
Re: Unable to Connect - Authentication Error / Wireless Hotspot
Klue
Master - Level 1

I don't have any experience in setting up hot spots as I don't use them. Since your phone is only a day old why not take it back to where you bought it or to a corporate store and have them set it up for you.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Are you able to turn on the hotspot from the phone? 

The error is on your phone or the device trying to connect? 

0 Likes
Zray
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem. I got a new S10 after mine was damaged and every time I try and turn on wireless hotspot on my phone I get this error. I have reset everything. Does my SIM need to be registered to activate the hotspot feature?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Zray, we can relate to how important it is that your device and features are working. Were you able to utilize the Hotspot on your previous phone? What error do you receive when you attempt to use on the current device?

KatiM_VZW

0 Likes
Bschweer
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the exact same issue.  Previously had a galaxy S7 that had a working hotspot. Upgraded to brand-new Galaxy S9, and hotspot gives error "Unable to connect" with reason "Authentication error."  Our account account administrator contacted Verizon tech support which, after time spent checking and trying different things (account status/setup, factory reset, etc), resulted in having another brand-new S9 sent out next day air.  The replacement, with same sim card, had same issue.  Then they sent a new sim card.  Our administrator set up the new sim card, and still stuck with the the same issue.  Too much time has already is been spent trying to resolve this issue, with nothing left to try.

Brutalguy
Enthusiast - Level 1

I also have this exact problem.on my s8

Has this been resolved 

Any time frame

Or should I change to a reputable carrier

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello. It's worrying to see you're receiving an authentication error while trying to use the mobile hotspot feature on your device. Please tell us, are you able to use mobile data on your device? Is your device currently connected to Wi-Fi? Could you please check for any software updates available? 

GeovannJ_VZW

0 Likes
million4u
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes all of these things were done, my daughter with iphone can turn on here hot spot with no issue. I can connect to any wifi. However when I want to use my phone eas an hotspot no go why is it that verizion can not figure this out! If new phone e is the the fix is it a new carrier?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the additional information. Where you able to use your hotspot previously? Have you made any recent changes to your device?

AlfredoL_VZW

0 Likes