Verizon Galaxy Note 5 won't charge after Marshmallow update? Anyone else?
rftsr
Enthusiast - Level 2

My Verizon version Note 5 stopped charging and is a brick a few days after updating to Marshmallow. Is this just a coincidence? My phone is currently being torn apart by repair shop. Thanks Verizon. Can anyone say T-Mobile?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Galaxy Note 5 won't charge after Marshmallow update? Anyone else?
acinfo
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had this problem with my Turbo 2.

There is a problem that they (Verizon and Motorola) are now discovering with the Marshmallow update, where the Marshmallow OS is damaging hardware (in our case the charging part of the board) and they have STOPPED the Marshmallow rollout to the Moto phones because of this.

This HAS BEEN CONFIRMED by a rep in tier 2 tech support at Verizon that said that his colleague who is the go to guy for Motorola verified the problem with Moto. It was first noticed on LG phones (the OS damaging hardware) 

By me the update has damaged the hardware on my phone and the phone has been replaced under warranty by Verizon.

bearone21
Legend

you didn't say but if you were using usb charging it's not a wonder it wouldn't charge.

not the smartest move taking it to a repair shop, can you say "bye bye warranty".

0 Likes
rftsr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why is it a wonder it wold not charge if using usb? I tried both usb and 2 wireless chargers.

My bad. I had another Note 5 with ATT and did the stylus insert thing and broke it. Samsung fixed it (AFTER 2 MONTHS in Texas)!!

The only reason I got another one is the display is the best in the business. Too bad their quality sucks.

I'm out $700 so learn from my mistake and RUN to Apple. I'm not buying into Samsung's trash product quality again.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

because usb has been worthless for charging for years, compared to wall charging.

did you put the stylus in backwards???

it is a great display, that we agree on.

bye bye!!!

fwiw;

i've turned off gte/verizon phones while being wall charged for 17 years.....ports go bad, phone not recognized.

0 Likes
rftsr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks man...not bitter at all here...LOL.

Of course I put the stylus in backwards on my first Note. I blame it on my own stupidity.

It just seems weird to me that both fast usb and fast wireless won't work.

Totally bummed.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

are you using the original charger & do you have "fast charge" selected in settings/battery??

i bet you don't do it again.    this is my 1st note, coming from an s5.

in looking at the stylus, i can't imagine putting it in backwards, one end is for writing, the other isn't.

good that samsung fixed it because what i read was the phablet was toast if stylus was put in backwards. 

0 Likes
rftsr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was a little wasted. And as I put it in wrong I was thinking how could anyone be so stupid to do that?

Samsung supposed has fixed this issue on current Notes 5s on the quiet, but on my Note 4 you couldn't put the stylus in backwards.

Well the repair shop wants the phone for the weekend. He's downloading the software to flash it back to 5.1 or whatever Android was before Marshmallow.

I did try a Nexus 6p which ran Marshmallow flawlessly. That's why I didn't hesitate installing it on the Note 5.

Big mistake.

rftsr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes was using the original charger that my coworker just used to charge his S6. Also tried wireless fast charging.

bearone21
Legend

fwiw:

my 601/mm download/install was perfect.