Visual Voicemail Is Not Working After Switching Carrier
n1njade
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 from Samsung (unlocked, no carrier software).

I had the device on AT&T until last week.

Although I setup my Verizon Voicemail, I just kept getting errors in visual voicemail ("Sorry, we're having trouble connecting. Make sure you have a good signal and try again. If you still can't connect, please contact Customer Service.")

I FIXED THIS MYSELF. I'M POSTING BECAUSE OF THE TERRIBLE ANSWERS FROM VERIZON.

Cust Service told me that "it's not possible to make visual voicemail work because the necessary software is only in the Verizon build and you don't have that".

I won't bother to explain all the reasons they're totally wrong. Instead, here's how to reset visual voicemail so you can redo setup on Verizon.

• Go to device settings > apps
  • Find voicemail
  • Force stop
  • Clear data cache
  • Disable app
  • Uninstall app updates
  • RESTART PHONE
  • Update app from Galaxy store
  • Open voicemail
  • Run through setup
  • Done!

Save any visual voicemail messages from old carrier before starting and all will be good.

I don't know why Verizon tech support say this is impossible.

It is possible and works.

Labels (1)
Re: Visual Voicemail Is Not Working After Switching Carrier
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

n1njade, first and foremost, we are thrilled to have you as a member of the Verizon family. We apologize for the experience you endured and we thank you for the steps you provided to fix the Visual Voicemail issue you were having. While some features may not be available on unlocked phones, there may be workarounds. I went ahead and submitted your feedback to the correct department for internet review. While we have you here, do you have any other questions or concerns? 

-JacobG_VZW

0 Likes
mepahporos
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the identical issue, and I'm on the S20+.  On the website, it lists visual voicemail as "not compatible" when another device on the same account (S10) is listed as "active."  I have tried your steps, but I was not able to disable visual voicemail or find it in the galaxy store.

Maybe someone can try to help?

mfron132
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issue here with s20 ultra. VZ forgot to mention this issue when I was switching from at&t. Despite me asking about functionality issues when bringing my device. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely understand the importance of having a working voicemail, mfron132. We'd be more than happy to do whatever we can to assist. Are you still able to check your voicemails when dialing *86? 

BrittanyR_VZW

0 Likes
Kanike-18

I have Samsung S20. I called Verizon customer care and went to the store but no help. They couldn't fix the issue. VVM is really important for my business. I am requesting Verizon to take my current phone and give me the same phone (Which has VVM) 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

As a valued customer, your concerns are our concerns too. I'd be disappointed too if I spoke with our customer care team and visited a store, and was advised the the issue you're experiencing with your S20's Visual Voicemail hasn't been resolved. This is disheartening to hear and we'd be more than glad to assist you here. I apologize for your inconvenience.  Can you tell us exactly what's happening with your device's Visual Voicemail feature? - RobertC_VZW

0 Likes
sugarplumcase

They didn't disclose that to make you trade in your phone or buy a new phone from them after you become their customer. It's a bait and switch and it seems I accidentally fell for it.

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, it breaks our heart to see you in this dilemma. The last thing we want is for you to have a negative impression of us. We are here to help. Please tell us more, what exactly is going on? ~Gilbert

0 Likes