When will Android update 2017-11-06 be available for the S7?
sawozny

Does anyone know when Android update 2017-11-06 (the one that fixes the KRACK vulnerability) will be available for the S7 on Verizon?  It appears the S8 has already received it's KRACK patch and I know not being on the newest model line phone means waiting longer, but I was encouraged to see the October update released for the S7 earlier this month implying that the S7 is still a supported platform.  So, I was wondering if anyone knew when the KRACK vuln on Verizon S7s was going to be patched.  I'm working around it by disabling WiFi, but I'd like to stop that.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Likes
Re: When will Android update 2017-11-06 be available for the S7?
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

I think they are sending it out now. I just got an update last week and I believe the patch was included for the Krack vulnerability .

kincaed
Contributor - Level 2

"Security patch level" releases are dated in the beginning of the month but Verizon doesn't actually push their Android updates out until the final week of that month.

kincaed
Contributor - Level 2

The update released around October 30-31st took us to Security patch level October 1 and finally addressed BlueBorne. I don't believe the October update dealt with KRACK at all. I expect that will be dealt with when we see the next update containing the November security patch level at the end of November. We might actually have to wait until December. We'll see when they release the update.

kincaed
Contributor - Level 2

Also, it seems Verizon only releases the security patch level updates that fall on the 1st of the month rather than the ones around the 5th of the month.

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

I stand corrected when I went back to samsung where I got this info from I was in the s7 edge community and when I clicked on an answer about krack it took me to S8 and they did update S8 for the krack vulnerability.My question now is why didn't S7 Edge phones get the update since they were aware of this. It is just unreal the way we have to wait months for a patch that should have been in our phones at least a month ago. I know this is not Verizon fault and I have asked this question to Samsung . I hope but I doubt that they will answer it but at least I hope it is in the next update.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate everyone's patience while we work to ensure our customers get the best update possible to keep each phone running safely and smoothly. It's always important to us that an update is tested as thoroughly as possible to make sure it performs on the network we work so hard to provide you, so any information about updates to the S7 will be found at https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/samsung-galaxy-s7-update/ or at https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/samsung-galaxy-s7-edge-update/ for the S7 edge. Is everything working well on your device with the current software?

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
kincaed
Contributor - Level 2

The latest update is being pushed out. Brings the patch level to 2017-11-01 including KRACK.

Samsung Galaxy S7 Software Update | Verizon Wireless

sawozny

I see and have downloaded the current patch, but despite the fact the description says "including KRACK" the level says 2017-11-01 and the announcement by the Android project announcement for THAT level at Android Security Bulletin—November 2017  |  Android Open Source Project  explicitly says

• Security patches for the KRACK vulnerabilities are provided under the 2017-11-06 security patch level.

So which is it?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm glad you were able to download the latest security patch, sawozny. This is the latest update available for your device. Based on the link that you provided, the patches you see are for specific devices. Please refer to number 2 under "Common questions and answers" in the link included with your last message.

AndreaS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes