When will the s7 get 7.1 or later? This is a safety concern!
E59
Enthusiast - Level 1

When will the s7 get 7.1 or later?

7.0 has a bug that prevents me from turning off google maps voice over bluetooth.  This means I must turn off blootooth to hear directions.  This means I cant use hands free calling through my vehicle.

This is a safety concern!

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: When will the s7 get 7.1 or later?  This is a safety concern!
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader
Re: When will the s7 get 7.1 or later? This is a safety concern!
bearone21
Legend

when verizon puts it out!!

Re: When will the s7 get 7.1 or later?  This is a safety concern!
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Updates will be posted here once they're released:

Samsung Galaxy S7 Software Update | Verizon Wireless

kincaed
Contributor - Level 2

I find it pretty much an absolute impossibility that we will ever see 7.1 for the S7. Verizon tends to go with the bigger initial release (6.0, 7.0, etc) and then make people wait until the next big release if they are lucky enough to get it. All those monthly updates since Android 7 have contained security patches so we're doing well security-wise until support ends which is far better than things used to be. I'm hoping and expecting to see Android 8.0 pushed to the S7 but that'll to be the end of the line. There's also no idea when Verizon might even push 8.0 out. Verizon isn't exactly the quickest to push out major updates.

The standard "life" of a smartphone is roughly 2 years due to numerous factors. For Android if you are lucky you get 1 or 2 major OS upgrades and security patches from the initial product release of the phone. Beyond that the phone fades into obsolescence.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

E59, 

Having a phone that operates safely is a must. Updates are released to our devices as they're received from the manufacturers and are tested. While we do not have any information on if the S7 will receive a different Android version other than 7.0, we can assist with troubleshooting what you're experiencing with your Bluetooth on your phone. To begin, please provide us with more detailed information on what you're experiencing. Do you have the same issues when using a navigation program other than Google Maps? What software version do you currently have installed? Check by going to Settings > About Phone > Baseband version. 

ShawnteJ_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
E59
Enthusiast - Level 1

In google maps, you are supposed to be able to:

1. In navigation, touch the menu button .
  2. Touch Settings .
  3. Uncheck Play voice over Bluetooth. Voice navigation will now play through your phone’s speaker.

This option existed for me until I was forced updated to Android 7.0

However, this option does not exist in Android 7.0.  A survey of the internet appears to indicate that this is a known problem with Android 7.0 and the problem is fixed in Android 7.1 and beyond.  Here are some links to where the problem is discussed:

Discussion 1

Google Groups

Discussion 2

Google Groups