Why can't I maintain a signal on my Note 4?
thisbouquet
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just upgraded from my trusty Note 2 to a brand new Note 4 on Saturday, and I've been having lots of issue with signal loss.

The main issue is with dead zones. Normally, if you go through a dead zone, your phone will show that it does not have a signal, but it will keep searching for one until you are out of that location and the signal comes back on its own. However, with my phone, if I enter a dead zone, the signal never comes back until i restart my phone. Unfortunately, I drive through one of these every time I leave my house - it's only about 100 feet and then I should have a very low signal strength for about a mile, then it should return to full strength. Instead, the bars and the 4G LTE symbol go away and it's just a greyed out triangle (without the signal bars) and a little grey x over the top of it. It also asks me if I want to switch to Global mode, but it doesn't matter if I say yes or no, the signal doesn't come back until I restart. I have also tried turning the mobile data off for a minute then back on, but that doesn't work. Neither does turning airplane mode on and then off (both things I have used in the past with previous phones to get them to reconnect).

These are the things I have tried:

Hard Reset on the phone

Removing all apps that did not come installed on the phone

Verizon replaced the sim card

Other than this, I don't have any other issues with the phone. I want to keep the phone if at all possible, because when I upgraded I was placed on the Verizon Edge plan and I didn't realize that even if I swapped this phone in within the 2 week period you have to change your mind when you get a new phone, that that would count as my "edge up" . I will if I have to, but I'm hoping it's a setting that I just need to tweak.I did find a few others with the same issues, and they were attributing it to the Lollipop update, but their issues haven't been resolved either.

Here's some additional info:

Android version 5.0.1

Mobile network: LTE /CDMA

Data Roaming Access: Allow access for all trips

What can I do to fix this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Signal problems on Note 4
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
We want to ensure you are able to stay connected at the right times, thisbouquet! I appreciate you taking the troubleshooting steps that you have! I am confident that the process of of exchanging the device will be within our 14 day Worry Free Guarantee that creates an easy transaction!

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
We want to ensure you are able to stay connected at the right times, thisbouquet! I appreciate you taking the troubleshooting steps that you have! I am confident that the process of of exchanging the device will be within our 14 day Worry Free Guarantee that creates an easy transaction!

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
rckt82
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have started having the same issues since my Note 4 received the update from Android 4.4 to Android 5.0. Same issues here. Crap data connection on the "nations fastest network". Useless without an actual connection. It's like having a Ferrari without wheels. My data connection is extremely unstable. It cycles from 4G to 3G to 1X. it's just a constant loop. In the meantime my phone has a huge battery drain trying to lock onto a data signal and streaming anything is nearly impossible.

I'm not sure exchanging the product will fix the issue. I don't think it's an isolated device issue. But more of an issue with the Note 4s with Android 5.0 and the network. I didn't have problems with my device until it received the OTA. Nothing else changed since my issues began (same phone when I had Android 4.4 and I'm in the same location).

Every thread I read about this issue, customer support replies with the same canned answers.

Is it indoors or outdoors?

Do you get better service outside or at another area?

When did it begin?

Whats your zipcode?

Did you try resetting your sim card?

Have you tried doing a factory reset?

Are your Calls or Text service affected?

I understand trying to pinpoint the problem. But there is never a fix for users to perform nor are there answers to why we are experiencing these issues, just more questions. Even a "we're having issues with device software/firmware and our network" is a better response then questions to our questions/problems. At least we would know why there's an issue.

Does Verizon Wireless Customer Support even have real people? or is it just an auto response bot????

oh and lets not forget this fix: Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

0 Likes
paradisevalleylofts
Enthusiast - Level 2

More customers with the same issue. I had a solid 4G signal and excellent battery life on KitKat, lollipop drops to 3G or 1x constantly and just trashed the battery life because of it. I rarely picked up 3G on KitKat, now that is almost all I get. Please respond to our issue, I don't want this crippled phone for the next 2 years because of a rushed release with software bugs. I'm paying for 4G, I can obviously pick up a reliable 4G signal, fix the issue so I can use my phone!!! If there is no ETA on a fix, I will return it while I still have time.

0 Likes