Wifi calling on S9 keeps turning off
WeeksKJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Galaxy S9 and recently started using WiFi calling. The icon indicates that it is on.

But I'm having minutes charged to my account while I'm in my house and on WiFi (signal is good).

One thing I've noticed is that occasionally I'll pick up the phone while the call is in progress (I do a lot of telecoms for work) and when I start hitting buttons (eg, take off mute) I'll see the message "continue call using WiFi" which implies it had stopped using WiFi and was using my regular minutes.  How can I ensure that it only uses WiFi?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wifi calling on S9 keeps turning off
WeeksKJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not being asked. I just see the message which makes me wonder if the wifi is automatically reverting back to the mobile network.

I'm on a plan that allows 700 minutes per month.  I'd never go near that prior to the pandemic but now that I'm working from home, I can go through that in less than two weeks.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

you're being asked if you want to continue with wi-fi calling, click yes.

what plan are you on, calls are unlimited thru the network on every plan i'm familiar with?

0 Likes
WeeksKJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not being asked. I just see the message which makes me wonder if the wifi is automatically reverting back to the mobile network.

I'm on a plan that allows 700 minutes per month.  I'd never go near that prior to the pandemic but now that I'm working from home, I can go through that in less than two weeks.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello WeeksKJ,

We know how important it is to be able to place your calls when you need to. Wi-Fi Calling simply allows your phone calls to be routed through your Wi-Fi when the cellular connection may not be strong enough. Since we are still routing the call for you, the minute usage is still taking place. Whether you place a call on Wi-Fi Calling or not, it will still use your minutes. Does this help clarify things for you?

ChristopherM_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It may be prudent to look into plans that can properly cover your new usage. Being on a Grandfathered plan, however, I would be weary that you only have 60-days to switch back to such a plan, and it would be through a ticket process. Have you checked if it is turning off when you leave the Wi-Fi area, causing you to not have it connected when you return to the area? Is there any pattern in it turning off at all? 

RobertH_VZW

0 Likes
WeeksKJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes.  

Are you telling me I do not have the option to use wifi calling over network calling when I'm in my home?

If there is that option, how do I turn it on?

I'm looking for options that won't cost me more money - unless you can tell me I can switch to a higher minutes plan without increasing my monthly bill.

0 Likes
WeeksKJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's exactly my concern - I won't need the higher minutes for much longer.

I can't see any pattern in the turning off.

When I'm on the phone I generally stay in the same area.  The wifi signal is strong throughout the house.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

WeeksKJ, most of our plans are Unlimited, which includes minutes. Are you on a plan with limited minutes? Either way, if your phone/number is being used for calls, it does go against your allowance, whether connected to WiFi or Cellular Data. 

WiFi Calling just helps enhance the call quality. 

Please let me know if this helps.

VanessaS_VZW

0 Likes